Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • Coffee noob.
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Hah. Don’t get involved with the snobs.

If you like Costa, that’s fine. You are allowed to. Personally I prefer their coffee in the very short espresso based drinks with only a bit of milk. Starbucks is better with lots of whole milk. Dark roast is a preference, not a crime.

I have tried lots of ‘posh’ well regarded coffee chains and their espresso tends to be overwhelmingly fruity which I find hard to drink. I quite like a dark astringent roast.

Brewing methods do taste different, but for Americano I do rather like an Aeropress topped up with hot water. It’s not astrinent but replaces this with a sweetness that makes it so easy to drink (if you want to drink lots a day) but still with lots of character.

sbob
    Free Member

You shouldn’t need sugar in properly made coffee

Yeah, what do South Americans know about coffee anyway?
    😛

molgrips
    Free Member

Whilst shop-bought pre ground stuff might be a bit stale by the time it gets to you, at least it’ll have been ground nicely.

Hmm but pre-ground coffee is always much too coarse to do anything with except put in a cafetiere. Unless (ironically, somewhat 🙂 ) you get Costa’s ground coffee which comes in espresso (fine) and cafetiere (coarse) grounds. Very expenisve though.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I’ve just bought one of these for me woodburner and induction hob

smashit
    Free Member

sbob – Member
    Yeah, what do South Americans know about coffee anyway?

Surprisingly little! I spent 3 years living in Bolivia and Peru (great high-altitude coffee territory) and for most locals Nescafe is the status symbol they aspire to!

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Aeropress makes an ok’ish cup of coffee, but hugely overrated IMO. At work I use a press (Go Outdoors) and, for a cup of coffee, it works a treat.
    I did have a handpresso, but left it someplace abroad, it did need pods bought off the internet, but for espresso it worked up about 16 bar and gave a nice strong hit with really thick crema. That may or may not be what you want, so think about whether it’s coffee or espresso you want.
    Most stove top espresso makers are ok I believe and a pretty decent cup of something stronger than coffee but not as strong as espresso (I think 3-4 bar is the top pressure)
    Coffee wise, I get mines from a local coffee roaster (use them or loose them) and the best they’ve done so far was a guest coffee – Ipanema Estate, Brazilian, which was quite sweet and chocolatey. Just now I’m on Java which is probably a Highland Park of coffee – I think everybody would like it, so maybe a good place to start. Bruzzi is another Brazilian estate, not quite as sweet as Ipanema but very nice.
    I used to use a bladed grinder, but picked up a cheap burr grinder in the sales , expecting it to be relegated to the same dark corner as the aeropress – nope, well worth the space it takes up in the kitchen, makes a much more consistent cup.

Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Coffee noob.’ is closed to new replies.