Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Coffee machine cleaning
  • hungrymonkey
    Free Member

I’ve been given a coffee machine by a friend who didn’t use it.
    I’ve had a couple of goes without any coffee in there to see how it works (no instructions)
    Clearly not used for a while as the water that comes out is a nice rusty (I assume) brown. I’ve cleaned all the bits I can and the water doesn’t smell of coffee so I’m confident it’s not residual coffee.

How can I clean it out properly?

bruneep

make and model would be a help

moose
    Free Member

I’ve had a similar experience. I used descaler then rinsed it through a few times. The descaled gets rid of not only limescale but any other crap that might be in there.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

Delonghi caffe treviso is the model. So descaler an option?

moose
    Free Member

Definitatley. Just found this from a quick google that may be of help?

Cafe Treviso advice

bruneep

http://www.delonghi.com/en-gb/customer-experience/instruction-manuals get the model number and bobs your mothers brother

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

Thanks guys
    Moose – that link will only let me scroll down a little on my phone but will crack out the laptop later
    Cheers!

prettygreenparrot

Just cleaning my machine this morning. I use this: http://www.hasbean.co.uk/collections/cleaning-products/products/cafetto-evo-powder its advantage over the cleaner I used to use is that it’s essentially oxygen bleach rather than a caustic agent.

Descaling shouldn’t be necessary if you’re using softened water in the machine. The brown tint to your water is more likely to be coffee gunk than rust. The machine’s innards should be rust-resistant. Brass, copper, plastic, maybe aluminium.

Enjoy a cleaner tasting brew when you’re done.

BigJohn

De-scaling is important but so is backflushing. The Puly Caf backflush powder you can get dissolves the residues that build up. And a backflush with a blind basket gets into places you can’t reach with a normal low-pressure de-scale.

If you want even better coffee you should use Puly Grind to get rid of all the gunk that builds up on your grinder blades.

I have a Gaggia Classic and from time to time it gets a right good strip down and you can clean out quite a bit of build up within the head unit.

I get all my cleaning stuff from Happy Donkey along with my favourite Brazilian blend beans.

spooky_b329

My machine is only a year old but when it rinses/warms up the water before using the machine the water is slightly brown. (And it rinses before it turns off so not coffee from the last go.

carlphillips
    Free Member

+1 what bigjohn said
    Mine gets a thorough cleaning every other month and I’m in a softwater area

purpleyeti
    Free Member

backflushing is good advice for people with machines that have a 3 way solenoid but for home machines like the above it’s just going to kill it and not do any cleaning.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Coffee machine cleaning’ is closed to new replies.