Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Coffee Lovers – You need one of these in your life…
  • dannybgoode

Was in Decathlon Sheffield yesterday and they have a little coffee bar at the entrance now and spotted this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B000GXZ2GS/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1436084469&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX200_QL40&keywords=aeropress&dpPl=1&dpID=417JpG8lOUL&ref=plSrch.

The barista there have me the low down and it was clear he knew more about coffee than was strictly healthy so I bought one.

Makes just sublime coffee and quick to use and a doddle to clean. Well worth the entry fee.

codybrennan
    Free Member

Seen these mentioned here before DBG, might well go for that.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

http://www.dansdata.com/aeropress.htm

A review and description. I happen to know STW towers are keen on it, too.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Got one in the back of the cupboard somewhere. First used in ’05 and it got a lot of use, but these days just prefer the simplicity and total non-faffage of my trusty Bialetti stove top.

One word of advice about the aeropress. Do NOT press too hard on it, otherwise you get steaming hot coffee over everything within a couple of yards of it. I know this as fact 😳

thecaptain
    Free Member

2005 called and wants its latest kitchen gadget back.

Although, as a more serious comment: how inconvenient are these for making multiple coffees? I’m guessing that most of you are making yourself a single cup, and I’m sure it’s a good choice for that. But if you are making several, do you have to clean it out and refill for each cup?

dannybgoode

Only just seen it Cap’in! And its ace 🙂

asdfhjkl
    Free Member

Long term user. Google “inverted aeropress” to see how to make better coffee with it. I think the aeropress makes good (not great) coffee but does it much more consistently than a French press. Less cleaning up too…

wallop

Keep up at the back!

Thecaptain – we use it to make multiple coffees. It’s quite a clean bit of kit so all you have to do is pop the used coffee out and rinse it under the tap. Not too much bother.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

I’m not waiting 3 minutes !!?,

Bregante

I’ve had one of these for a couple of years now. Prefer mine to our coffee machine at work. Brilliant for camping.

AlasdairMc

I find it a lot less faff than a Bialetti, especially to clean. No need to wait for it to cool down, just press the coffee ‘puck’ into the bin and rinse it under the tap.

Anyone used the metal filter? Is it any better or worse than the paper ones?

dannybgoode

Heard the metal one is worse. Coffee filters too quickly through giving little time to stir and get the plunger in.

scaredypants

I bought one for work, where there’s no tap or sink for “miles”

needs a sink for rinsing (if multiple, slightly choosy folk are using it) and was usurped by a group-buy of a nespresso machine.

I bought a metal filter for it – was a bit of a pain in the arse IIRR (mine was too slow – needed quite a big pressure, which made me worry about leaks/squirts)

bruneep

Heard the metal one is worse. Coffee filters too quickly through giving little time to stir and get the plunger in.

Do it upside down, when ready flip over to press down

b1galus
    Free Member

i have a metal filter and found that as long as you use the inverted method it works fine otherwise it bleeds out too quickly

bubs

I still use mine everyday. It took a bit of time to get the process just right but now I get great coffee with no fuss. I love the way there is no mess and cleaning is simply a rinse under the tap. I preferred the stove top for taste but not for convenience.

Sundayjumper

I got one for Christmas and like it a lot.

I’ve even taken to using a thermometer to make sure the water is at the right temperature as I’ve found this makes quite a difference (about 80°, not freshly boiled!).

MrSmith
    Free Member

An aeropress is great especially for travelling when you don’t want shite hotel coffee.
    But can’t see the point using it for supermarket pre-ground, a porlex jp-30 grinder fits inside and means you can fresh grind beans.
    And no it doesn’t make espresso coffee, and no it’s not the same as filter coffee. It has a stronger but cleaner taste.

I wonder if he’ snow making more money from the aeropress than the aerobee disc thingy?

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

I find it a lot less faff than a Bialetti, especially to clean

Clean??!!!!!

Mine is nicely seasoned. Doesn’t need cleaning!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Coffee Lovers – You need one of these in your life…’ is closed to new replies.