Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Coffee grinders?
  • BillMC

Just acquired a Delonghi Classic espresso machine (encouraged by an earlier thread on here) and I noticed in the instructions it advises to use a burr grinder rather than a steel bladed spice/coffee grinder. Since I have a steel grinder and limited storage space in the kitchen, how essential is a burr grinder? Is it worth the extra expense? Does it make that much difference? Any crowd-sourced or personal intelligence on this matter would be most gratefully received. B

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

how essential is a burr grinder?

You won’t die if you don’t get one, but tbh, I would. Buying pre-ground-for-espresso is probably going to get you nicer coffee than using a blade type jobbie. (all IMO and IME of course.) You don’t need to spend hundreds on one, even an economy one will most likely get you a better brew.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Does it make that much difference?

Yes.

I have a Krupps ‘burr’ grinder, and a Hario hand grinder that has proper burrs. If I am using the espresso machine, it is Hario every time.

The problem with a non-burr grinder is that you don’t get a consistent grind size, so you will struggle to get to the right extraction time. So the Krupps is for the bin really.

Scapegoat

I was sceptical to say the least, but a recent windfall has meant I’ve treated myself to the default STW option, an Iberital MC2, (mis-spelt and strangely described on eBay 😀 )

It’s the automatic version, which has a set timer and an infinitely adjustable grinder setting. Basically you put beans into the hopper and hold your portafilter under the chute. The grinder then dispenses a shot’s worth of ground coffee direct into the portafilter.

It takes a bit of fiddling to set up, but the geekery involved is immensely satisfying…. you have to adjust the grind so that the coffee takes the right amount of time to draw through your espresso machine (mine’s a De’Longhi), and so this is a bit hit and miss until you get it right. I time a 30ml shot at 13 seconds with a single 7g grind.

Once you’ve got the grind fineness level you need to set the timer so that one press of the button grinds exactly the right amount. This is process of elimination too, but once you’ve got those factors dialled in, it’s far more consistent than a blade grinder.

I found my espressos made using the blade grinder to be very hit and miss. I’m no expert, but I can definitely tell the difference.

eltonerino

I’ve got a Hario too. It’s nice 🙂

BillMC

Aaaargh! Just what I didn’t want to hear. Right! Start research on next acquisition.

Thanks people.

nickc

To get really nice espresso you need a equally sized grain on your ground beans, and really the only way to get that is a burr grinder.

Personally I’m not a fan of home espresso, it’s hard to do well, and one of the great joys in life in sitting at a decent cafe with a good espresso and watching the girlsworld go by…

Stoner
    Free Member

this sad moment has recently come to me. I’ve been looking at Krups and Bodums on eBay. TBH the grind quality isnt that essential as I almost exclusively drink french press. But I’d like something that can take a bag of beans in a hopper on monday that I can grind just before each press. recommendations?

daniel_owen_uk
    Free Member

I have the MC2, would only swap it for something more expensive.

Probably a Eureka Mignon.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Personally I’m not a fan of home espresso, it’s hard to do well, and one of the great joys in life in sitting at a decent cafe with a good espresso and watching the girlsworld go by…

Home espresso is worth it though if you can do it well. Might not get the view but I get a much nicer espresso than at most cafe’s.

this sad moment has recently come to me. I’ve been looking at Krups and Bodums on eBay. TBH the grind quality isnt that essential as I almost exclusively drink french press. But I’d like something that can take a bag of beans in a hopper on monday that I can grind just before each press. recommendations?

I’d not leave beans sat in a hopper for a week. I pop them in the hopper, grind, then pour them back into a sealed bag for storage (till the next morning.) They go off pretty quickly sat in a hopper.

I’ve got the Iberital MC2 and it’s really good. Downside though is that it’s a PITA to adjust quickly between different grinds, just not designed for that. I’m always grinding for espresso so that’s not a problem, so if you’re always just grinding for a french press then that’s fine too. Otherwise get something else. There were a few good recommendations in this thread recently.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

I’d not leave beans sat in a hopper for a week. I pop them in the hopper, grind, then pour them back into a sealed bag for storage. They go off pretty quickly otherwise.

They go off quicker once you’ve ground then.

molgrips
    Free Member

one of the great joys in life in sitting at a decent cafe with a good espresso and watching the girlsworld go by…

You can still do that.. Just means you can have a latte in the morning too.

I might need a grinder too. My delonghi one seems to have destroyed its burrs after years of excellent service.

mrblobby
    Free Member

I mean that all the beans go back in a sealed bag. Only grind for what I’m going to use immediately.

Solo
    Free Member

deadlydarcy – Member

how essential is a burr grinder?

You won’t die if you don’t get one, but tbh, I would.

I’m fairly sure you wouldn’t, or at lest, I hope you won’t. How long have we got? Do we need to have a whip round to buy you one before it’s too late?

torsoinalake
    Free Member

I mean that all the beans go back in a sealed bag. Only grind for what I’m going to use immediately

Phew.

nickc

Like stoner I’m pretty much either press or stove top at home. I can get decent coffee, just not espresso. Happy with my blade grinder, I might get a burr when it finally breaks though.

willard

I sprung for a DeLonghi burr grinder last month (it was a treat to myself) to keep the stovetop espresso makers filled. I got advised that the burr grinders make a smaller, more consistent grind that espresso makers prefer. Larger particle size can apparently cause a less nice coffee.

it’s awesome and I now have it tuned so that it makes the right amount of ground coffee at the right size grind for the 6 cup “morning” maker. It’s pretty easy to keep clean, pretty quiet and makes the kitchen smell of coffee, which is nice.

It was 20 quid and is well worth it.

teacake
    Free Member

I’ll just weigh in by saying that buying a quality grinder makes a mahoosive difference to your espresso and allows you to “play tunes” on your machine. eg, this morning I made a café crème for my wife and a ristretto for me.

To correct a point above – burr grinders do not produce a single particle size. They (typically) produce 3 particle sizes. All three play a role in extraction of the correct type and amount of lipids and volatiles but also produce the correct structure inside the puck to enable extraction at the right pressure and flowrate.

I have a Rancillio Rocky for sale (VGC) if anyone is interested – email in profile. Shameless I know 😉

Stoner
    Free Member

I have a Rancillio Rocky for sale (VGC) if anyone is interested – email in profile. Shameless I know

Will you take £40 and a jar of mellow birds?

molgrips
    Free Member

Since teacake seems to know teacake’s stuff, I’ll mention why my machine wore out, it’s a bit curious/interesting.

It was fine, and consistent, for years and years, then over a few weeks beans started to go through slower and it needed more shaking to get them to go down. So I popped off the top grinder wheel and inside was a sort of lozenge thing about the size of.. ooh, a big almond, but fatter and more sausage shaped. It was squishy but resilient, and appeared to be a putty made from coffee oils and dust.

Anyway I removed it and it must somehow have worn the burrs away because now I can’t get it to grind fine enough at all. Even took the fineness control mechanism apart to skip a tooth, to force them closer, but this didn’t result in fine enough coffee.

Odd that this should happen and that it should wear out my grinder.

Solo
    Free Member

A chap in my office has one of these on his desk:

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/home-appliances/coffee-machines/53350/panasonic-nc-za1-review

It grinds and makes a reasonably quiet job while doing so. Makes a good cuppa too!

Innes
    Free Member

Another Iberital MC2 here.

They work really well once set up. I used some old beans to get the grind and timer set up.

purpleyeti
    Free Member

molgrips, depending on how often you use it burrs need replacing, like any cutting tool prolonged use dulls them. i take my current one to pieces every 4-6 months and cleans the burrs, chute and other parts, burrs are going to need replacing soon.
    I’m interested in the rocky to match my silvia, but shipping might make it impractical.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Coffee grinders?’ is closed to new replies.