Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Coffee cup lids
  • molgrips
    Free Member

It annoys me that on the occasions I buy a latte and forget my re-usable mug (yes I read the Guardian) I find that the pressure-equalisiation hole in the plastic lid is never big enough to allow me to drink at a reasonable rate. I almost always have to enlarge it with a pen or similar. If no pen is available then I have to suck really hard.

Why is this?

oddjob
    Free Member

You really don't have much to think about today do you?

soma_rich
    Free Member

You have a big mouth? and drink too fast?

molgrips
    Free Member

You really don't have much to think about today do you?

Besides arguing with TJ, no I don't!

I'm so bored at work you couldn't begin to understand…

Cougar

Any bigger and it'd leak?

stumpy01

If the hole was too big & the cup was in a cup holder in a car, it would slosh out of it……..

iDave
    Free Member

you could remove the lid and drink like an adult? 😉

coffeeking
    Free Member

Take the top off, if it doesnt kill the structural integrity? Nothing worse than feeling like a child with one of those teat cups!

EDIT – that'll teach me to leave it 3 mins before hitting send.

yossarian
    Free Member

you sound like you have a lack of suction

there is no cure

molgrips
    Free Member

If the hole was too big & the cup was in a cup holder in a car, it would slosh out of it……..

If the journey is rough enough to slosh out of the small hole, then it'll slosh out of the big hole anyway.

warton
    Free Member

If the journey is rough enough to slosh out of the small hole, then it'll slosh out of the big hole anyway.

I disagree. would the same amount come out of a mm wide hole, as would do if the cup had no lid? thats an exaggeration, but you get my point.

Macavity
    Free Member

"Why is this?"
    That you forget your mug?
    Its just old age, and thats why you have to drink through a straw. Dont worry about it.
    Or was it why do you read the Guardian?

jimmy

remember your cup next time. Huh!

molgrips
    Free Member

but you get my point.

No I don't. I mean you're in trouble if your coffee is sloshing about that much, regardless of the state of the small hole.

The 'why is this' question was 'why can't they consistently make the hole the right size?'

oliverd1981
    Free Member

If only you sucked as much as this thread.

Could be the viscosity of the Latte is too high – try changing it for 5wt Tea..

Alternatively TF can shim you lids for improved airflow and reduced spillage from only 75p. This can help prevent the lid from overheating on sustained Grande's, but is probably unnecessary if you drink shorter afternoon ventos.

warton
    Free Member

I mean you're in trouble if your coffee is sloshing about that much, regardless of the state of the small hole.

Amen to that, but less would come out of a small hole.

Personally I find the holes a perfect size, so I pray that no coffee cup lid manufacturers are reading this and implement a hole widening program across all coffee cup lid manufacturing plants

molgrips
    Free Member

Snigger (at work).

TooTall
    Free Member

Carry some sort of small pokey device with you to customise your lid – I dunno – a pen or pencil perhaps? Or have you tried that but the edible crayon just made it worse!

coffeeking
    Free Member

The 'why is this' question was 'why can't they consistently make the hole the right size?'

It's not, the problem is you take over-sized gulps rather than sips 😀

TooTall
    Free Member

If you stopped having ladies' drinks and stuck to a double espresso, you'd have none of this faff.

molgrips
    Free Member

Carry some sort of small pokey device with you to customise your lid – I dunno – a pen or pencil perhaps? Or have you tried that but the edible crayon just made it worse!

I shouldn't have to! It's outrageous!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Coffee cup lids’ is closed to new replies.