Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Coffee beans, where's good (and economical)
  • bigG
    Free Member

Santa brought me a new bean to cup coffee machine and I need to find an economical way of feeding it enough beans to keep up with my growing coffee consumption.

I’m not going to keep tesco et al in profit by buying in quantity from them. I’ve done some research on the net and coffeebeanshop.co.uk looks to be the best I’ve found so far.

Any recommendations of other suppliers, or particular favourite beans?

Cheers,

G

TooTall
    Free Member

Where do you live? Find a local company and use them. I used to use Wogans when living in Bristol. Fresh locally roasted and a great range at close to wholesale prices.

BigJohn

I’ve had a few and I really really like the Happy Donkey range.

The Italian and Brasilian blends are very cheap but excellent. I like to rotate with their other varieties, (which, incidentally have a similar taste profile to Hasbean roasts).

I tend to order £50 at a time to dilute the delivery charge. They use Interlink couriers who have been faultless. they text you a time when they’ll be there and will leave the parcel “round the back if no reply” if you write it on the order. I’ve had next day delivery from them too.

somafunk

Hasbean are quite good but i use my local deli who get fresh beans every week from Brodies in Edingburgh

RoganJosh
    Free Member

Has bean has bean has bean.

Next.

No seriously, the time from roasted to landing on your doormat is unreal. Not sure in large quantities how it compares to others in terms of price etc but quality and service is second to none.

cinnamon_girl

Happy Donkey looks very reasonable. 🙂

Daffy

2nd for Wogans in Bristol.

Coffee Compass isn’t too bad either.

osteo1
    Free Member

rave coffee I prefer to has bean for my palate. Try them all and find which sort of roasting suits you! If in London just go to Monmouth coffee company they are exceptional!

osteo1
    Free Member
    Sandwich

Monmouth will deliver, though the cost is high and a £50 order (beans excluding postage) makes it more palatable. (You’ll need to ring their roasting number in Borough Market to arrange delivery). The organic espresso blend is fantastic.
    Otherwise Has Bean and try loads of them to alight on one you like.

grahamg
    Free Member

Rave coffee italian job is my everyday. Superb VFM.

matt_outandabout

I have to say that we have started buying all our coffee from Sainsburys – they have great selection, mainly Fair Trade, great tasting and always on offer. We buy ground already however.

cinnamon_girl

@ matt – Sainsbury’s Premium blend is fine for me but it’s been increasing in price considerably. Now switched to Aldi and enjoyed the scorn received on here. 😉

hebridean
    Free Member

Try coffee-direct.co.uk They have a good range of blends and single origin coffee. We tried a lot of different types but have settled on their golden crema and smokey joe blends as our usual order.

They use Royal Mail for orders under 1kg and the free delivery is very fast (within 2-3 days). If you order more than 1kg they use a courier. they may be fast on the mainland but for us islanders it sometimes takes a while to get here.

k-sugden
    Free Member

I buy from http://www.garraways.co.uk/ I buy a case at a time with free P+P if you spend more than £50 the beans are fresh roasted with the date on the bag. I find they are more consistent quality than most of the others I have tried,I cant tell the difference between the first and last bag in the case using around a bag a week.

matt_outandabout

@cinnamon_girl – we tend to clear a shelf when it is on offer…last one was the tins of reet nice stuff that was half price. We have a whole ‘slab’ of them in the garage 🙂 And Aldi coffee is niice…

chewkw
    Free Member

Co-op supermarket fair trade coffee beans very good.

MrNutt
    Free Member

here: http://www.hawkinscoffee.com/ speak to David, tell him Alex sent you.

Fantastic hand roasted (twice a week) 100% Arabica

saladdodger
    Free Member

wogan coffee in brizzoil

Superb people to deal with and I have just last week bought 1kg of there monsoon malibar for £12

They do not sell roast bean they roast them so you know they are fresh the smell through the Cabot Circus shopping centre is superb

MrSmith
    Free Member

No seriously, the time from roasted to landing on your doormat is unreal

Bit of a moot point as freshly roasted beans need to de-gas before grinding, usually 8-12 days.
    Most good roasters will not send out coffee over 5 days past roast date.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Coffee beans, where's good (and economical)’ is closed to new replies.