Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • coed y brennin
  • jedi

going in a couple of weeks time to porthmaddog and going to have a couple of days riding too. i’ve not ridden cyb since 2002!! pretty excited. will find our old off piste runs too

RobHilton
    Free Member

It’s changed a bit 🙂

jedi

i’d have hoped so 🙂

Bagstard
    Free Member

I did the MBR last year after a ten year gap! Great fun and so much better on a modern bike!Back then I remember moaning about the saddle height being wrong all the time, punctures, twitchy steering… the trail is much better too.

jedi

sweet

bluebird
    Free Member

I was there a couple of weeks back. There were quite a few sections closed due to storm damage. Worth checking before you go.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Pink heifer original trails were pretty much overgrown last time I looked. Messed up in places too. It’s much more traditional trail centre-ish than it used to be.

nosedive
    Free Member

I was there last week. MBR was open aside from the final descent (beginning of the end or something?). I had a sneaky walk down it anyway, the amount of trees down was amazing, it looked like a scene from Troll hunter.

anyhow, slightly rambling point is that most of it was open

mindmap3
    Free Member

I was there last week and thought it was riding really well…it feels much more natural than places like Cannock or Llandegla. As above the only bit that was closed was Beginning of the End. It was even dry and dusty….

mudmonster
    Free Member

Going there today, don’t think it will be dry and dusty though. Not been there for 9 years.

jedi

post what its like mudmonster

SOAP
    Free Member

Was there at Easter, best trails in Wales
    Ride The Beast. When you get to the cafe half way round just push up the hill to “Gomez” also when you get back to the bridge ride the Blue trail back to the centre.

al2000

I’ve always liked CYB, and while it’s a shame a lot of the original trails have gone / been changed beyond recognition, it’s still great to ride, and has a nice feel about the place.

mrbotticelli

Was staying not far from the tearoom at the end of Hermon a few weeks back.

First trip there and had the family in tow.

Really enjoyed the natural XC feel to the trails that I got to ride. Rode the blue Minotaur a couple of times with the family, the Slipway is fun if you like berms, and managed to sneak in a ride round the Adamms family, Pink Heiffier, Big Dug and Hermon on a couple of early morning solo rides.

Mark at the tearoom after Hermon is open at weekends and can give to you some route options…also provides dishwasher tablets for the poorly equipped self caterer.

waffle
    Free Member

What a fantastic place to go! I rode MBR last year in 30 degree heat and it was hard, very hard. My only complaint is that a lot of the trail is made up of fire roads and a lot of the time the trails are shared between other trails, which might not of been the case all those years ago.

matther01
    Free Member

You can mix and match the different trails to avoid the fire roads. I love the place. Slate is so much better than the Cannock pebbles!!

rOcKeTdOg

did the MBR late last year, great fun, BUT i much prefered penmachno, if you can get there too it’s well worth it

iolo
    Free Member

Penmachno is ok. Coed y brenin with all off piece is phenomenal.

matther01
    Free Member

Iolo – where is this off piste that you speak of? Pm me with details if you wouldn’t mind (I’m a soloist so no fear of mass invasion!).

Cheers

iolo
    Free Member

Most of it is illegal. Only to be ridden on a night ride.
    I’m not riding at the mo but when I’m back you’re more than welcome to tag along.

matther01
    Free Member

Ahhh…two firsts…illegal stuff and night ride (as I’m a big wuss) lol

flippinheckler
    Free Member

I used to do an off piste route called the pink heifer (not the section that now is) had some fantastic sections including some disused red bull trail. Would love to revisit those trails as it’s a great to mix and match with the newer sections.

captain_bastard
    Free Member

Rode the karrimoor trail (I think) in 1990somethink, was brand new at the time and still not bedded in, was a massive step above my normal trails as first time I’d really travelled to ride ( xc races aside). Was on a brand new Cannondale, literally first ride, 80mm of travel that was effectively locked out as I hadn’t dropped the pressure, that and nose on the front wheel set up and skinny tyres made things interesting

Called by there twice last year (once as part of the c2c), remembering how terrified I was down a particular section of trail (we called Kenny Everett, as my bro shouted this as he went over the bars), I actually laughed out loud at how ridiculously easy it is, I actually rode it twice so the second time I could ride it without touching the breaks

Trails still great, but not the same now Dafydd and Sian aren’t dishing out monster cheese on toast

Northwind

I ****ing love CYB. Nothing else to add 😆

rOcKeTdOg

Yep the cafe is ok but not a patch on the original

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘coed y brennin’ is closed to new replies.