Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Coed y Brenin/Dragon's Back – sections changed in last few years?
  • alp_girl
    Free Member

Just back from riding the Dragon's Back at CYB; last time (I think it was around November 07) the sections after the long climb (Gomez/Morticia etc) seemed to be trickier (rooty rock drop offs between close together trees).

Is is my imagination or have those sections been redone since late 2007?

theginjaninja
    Free Member

There's a section when you pop out the other side of the stream which is now kind of paved or armoured which I don't think was there before as below.

mickasaki
    Free Member

I thought that too when i was there in december! They do seem to have sanitised it all a bit over the years. I remember when it used to be the karrimor, there was a cracking descent, really tight, steep and rooty, but cant seem to remember where it was. I know it was around the Gomez area but probably got changed due to the increase in trail use wearing it away, as it wasn't surfaced. Anyone got an old karrimor map?

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I think the old trail is still there – not sure how to get into the top of it though. When you exit the Addams Family, swing a right and then right again alongside the river. You can see it coming down to the fire-road after 100m or so IIRC.

We rode it all a few weeks ago though and yes, it used to be a bit more gnarly but the new stuff is fast as ****. The last singletrack section of the Addams Family with the jumps and the super fast bermed bits is awesome BUT you have to be hitting it all full pelt to enjoy it. Roling it all I imagine is quite sedate but we were staying a short ride from the top of those sections so the first trails we hit every morning were those descents – mint!

Revised Beginning Of The End with the jumps etc is excelllent too…

mrh86

Did the beast over at cyb last weekend. Some of the downhill sections were very fast!! Dont think ive ridden any other trail centres with descents like that. Quite tight and flowly. Good fun!

mickasaki
    Free Member

Dave, did you stay at Glyn-yr-Aur by any chance? If you did, is it as nice as it sounds?

forge197
    Free Member

I've stayed at Glyn-yr-Aur it was excellent went there a couple of times, trails are rideable from there to.

There did used to be a technical twisty rooty bit but the trail collapsed into a steam so I think they built the new much easier but faster section in a different location.

Last time I was there the old trail was there hidden away but part way down you have to cross the stream but it was still fun 😉

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Mick – yes and yes. Cheap, clean, super comfy, although the owners were on their hols when we went, they seemed very nice via e-mail. 5 minute ride from the door and you're at the top of the Addams Family = mint way to start a ride! Or easy enough to drop into False Teeth etc too from up there.

Will definately be back!

mickasaki
    Free Member

I'm going to see about a trip in May, so hopefully i can get to stay there. I've stayed in Dolgellau a few times before, and quite like having a warm up ride before you reach the trails. Theres a nice quite lane on the other side of the valley to the main road to CYB which does the job nicely!

jd-boy
    Free Member

Yep the trail down to the house/cafe has been repaired in the last couple of years, agree its not all slippy roots like it used to be But then it would never have lasted with the traffic that goes over it now, lots of the trails at PyB are under repair at the moment and now with Andy as the cycle ranger (he is the brains behind the Penmachno trail) I think PyB has a fantastic time ahead, rode at PyB Easter weekend and lots of work has gone on since I was there at Christmas
    Its just a shame the money cannot be found to get the trails in East Anglia up to the same standard we all enjoy over the rest of the UK

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Last time I was in East Anglia, it was a flat desolate wasteland though 😉

amodicumofgnar

Isnt the section down to the house / cafe on its third evolution now? Top of the adams family seems to dog leg where as original line seemed to go more straight down hill.

hitman
    Free Member

If Dragons Back is the old Karrimor there used to be a really tricky root descent not long after the halfway cafe which was at someone's house. Not done it since then so its probably changed loads but was going to head up next week 🙂

mickasaki
    Free Member

Jd-boy, whats happened to the red route? Just got back froma night ride,and the 'north shore :lol:' has gone!
    Looks like i'm off back to CYB in May now, staying at Glyn-yr-Aur. cant wait, although i suspect i'll be over on my own again. More interested in Penmachno to be honest, as i've only been there in the mid winter a couple of times, although i suspect the trails will be just as wet anyways.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Coed y Brenin/Dragon's Back – sections changed in last few years?’ is closed to new replies.