Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Coed-Y-Brenin with the wife! Good places to stay, eat, etc with the wife?
  • zeesaffa
    Free Member

Looking for some recommendations please…

Never been before. My better half and I are going to do the blue trail (Minor Taur) during the day.

Can anyone suggest where we should stay for a bit of night-life, restaurants, etc? It’s our anniversary and she’s been kind enough to let me pick the daytime activity – so I’d like to make sure the hotel and restaurant make it up to her 🙂

All suggestions would be appreciated because I’ve never been to that part of the world!

Thanks!

zeesaffa
    Free Member

Thanks Klunk. We are only going for a Sunday night – and that placer is closed on Sundays.

I should mention we’re heading across from Shrewsbury – so could stay anywhere in-between but willing to travel a bit more for a good hotel / food.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jonnyv
    Free Member

I’d highly recommend this place http://www.heulwen.co.uk

wrecker
    Free Member

That mawdach place is nice, I had a great steak there.
    Have a look at the cross foxes too.
    http://www.crossfoxes.co.uk/location_things_to_do_Snowdonia.htm

coatesy
    Free Member

Another recommendation for Heulwengesthouse here. The Sospan in Dolgellau is a nice olde-worlde bistro if that’s your thing, not been in The Ship Hotel for a long time, but was a bit posher. My personal favourite is a trip to Barmouth for an evening in The Last Inn, good food, and friendly staff.

Dark-Side

wrecker – Member
    That mawdach place is nice, I had a great steak there.
    Have a look at the cross foxes too.
    http://www.crossfoxes.co.uk/location_things_to_do_Snowdonia.htm

I stayed at the Cross Foxes a couple of weeks ago, the suites are nice rooms, I wish we hadn’t had the kids with us! They do an offer which includes a room and special tasting menu, we didn’t take it because we were with tthe kids but it seemed good value.

ahwiles
    Free Member

the minotaur trail is bloody great.

there’s an additional descent you can sneak in, if you/she thinks that’s a good idea.

after about 4 or 5k, you cross the river, it’s a nice bridge, in a nice gorge, very nice.

once you’re back on the gravel road, the blue trail turns right, effectively heading back to the start. but if you’re both keen you can turn left, and climb up the forest road (round a hairpin) for about 5 mins, and look out for the red-fox (Cwflym Coch – or something) trail on the right, the start is a little sketchy for a blue-route rider, but after that short section, it’s good old fashioned swoopy singletrack back down to the valley, great fun!

(if you’re keen for even more after that, you can turn left at the end of the singletrack descent described above, up a steep gravel road. it does ease off, but it keeps going for about 10 mins – to another awesome red-fox descent)

RobHilton
    Free Member

https://www.georgethethird.co.uk/ does pretty good food

danradyr1
    Free Member

Plenty to choose from in Betws y Coed though it’s probably 40min drive from CYB. ThreeGables Bistro does good food and you can stay in any number of B&Bs with the Royal Oak hotel as an expensive option. And there’s always a buzz about town

dragon
    Free Member

I’d stay in Dolgellau if you can and eat there.

Some good suggestions above but George 3rd wins for me, simply because the location is stunning and you can cycle there from Dolgellau if you like. I’ll be honest the food isn’t amazing, just standard pub fare, but as I say it’s all about the location.

Tapas place in Dolgellau is also really nice food.

Cross Foxes is lovely but out of town on the junction of 2 main roads, so that has its disadvantages.

We weren’t impressed by the Sospan bistro, I wouldn’t recommend it.

Also beware that the other week everywhere to eat in Dolgellau was booked out every night not just Friday and Saturday. The Ship Inn was insanely busy, so much so we never ate there.

zeesaffa
    Free Member

Thanks for all the good advice everyone!
    We have had to postpone the stay over (kids / babysitting) – but will take note for next time.

Still going to do Minotaur trail tomorrow though and try sneak in some of those detours siggested by Ahwiles above 🙂

zeesaffa
    Free Member

Ahwiles,

We did exactly what you suggested (both extrapueces if red fox) and it was great!

The wife loved it! The whole day was much better than she expected it to be – good result I’d say!

Went to Cross Foxes for a quick bite on way back and that was very good as well.

Thanks again!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Coed-Y-Brenin with the wife! Good places to stay, eat, etc with the wife?’ is closed to new replies.