Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • coed y brenin… too cold?
  • davenorth1
    Free Member

going to coed y brenin Friday with a big group from Wolverhampton. will it still b a good ride this time of year? unless we get 2000inches of snow? any1 been there lately

chris_db
    Free Member

As you say, unless it’s sub zero for a while, I’d expect it to ride as well as any time of year.

singlespeedstu

Thanks for the warning.
    I’ll be sure to avoid CyB on Friday.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Too cold? Are you joking?

iolo
    Free Member

It’s never too cold. The only thing to be careful of I’d the armoured stream crossings bthe water dragged up from coming out of the streams freeze and can be quite interesting.

loddrik
    Free Member

Because CyB is that much further nortj than Wolverhampton…? 😕

davenorth1
    Free Member

not much further north but lot closer to the coast. suppose if we ride really close together we can be warmer. or go faster?

loddrik
    Free Member

Closer to the coast should be less cold on account of the Gulf Stream. A discussion point between you and your friends as you ride around the Beast perhaps…?

UK really isn’t cold enough to consider boycotting a ride on temperature grounds.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

But the extreme elevation could create death-zone type conditions at this time of year, surely?

Or is it just a question of tyres?

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/loutdoor/mountainsafety/snowdonia/snowdonia_latest_pressure.html

singlespeedstu

Just to make it clear I’ll be avoiding it so that i don’t have to bump into you Wolvo types.
    Nothing to do with the weather.

sofatester
    Free Member

going to coed y brenin Friday with a big group from Wolverhampton. will it still b a good ride this time of year?

Yes.

unless we get 2000inches of snow?

Not going to happen.

any1 been there lately

Yes.

deadkenny
    Free Member

It’s still shorts weather in the UK, even in Wales. Okay Scotland is colder, but they’d not only be in shorts but t-shirts too. Sorry, string vest 😛

I’d be more concerned about being soaking wet and/or muddy. Doesn’t stop a great ride, but just be sure to be prepared. Spare clothes, change for showers (and hope the centre is open), etc.

chiefP
    Free Member

It’s good any time of the Year

2000inches of snow?

No

2000inches of Water?

Possibly 😯

Just get out and ride….

tomaso
    Free Member

It is a weather proof ride. Rain snow fog sleet wind and even on rare occassioins mild sunshine don’t seem to get in the way.
    Yow a bostin time!

dryroasted
    Free Member

I’ll be riding my 650b so should be ok, not sure if the others will survive

rucknar
    Free Member

“not much further north but lot closer to the coast. suppose if we ride really close together we can be warmer. or go faster?”

If you stop every 15-20 minutes and all have a big group hug then that will keep you warm, might want to stay off the trail for that though as normal bikers might just be riding normally in the normal weather.

DT78
    Free Member

Cold is not a problem, reckon you should take kayaks rather than bikes if the forecast is accurate

loddrik
    Free Member

Sod the weather, beware the locals. They hang the English ’round them parts don’t you know…?

Plus, being from Wolverhampton, they may be extra hostile to you on ‘accent’ grounds…

rOcKeTdOg

Be drier riding in the canal & they don’t have Tipton made scratchings in Wales

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

I’ll be riding my 650b so should be ok

ah, so even cold trails will come alive

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

More help. And less willy-waving:

going to coed y brenin Friday with a big group from Wolverhampton. will it still b a good ride this time of year?

Yes, but it will be a bit cold in places, probably not more so than anywhere else > 1000ft alt at this time of year, but it may be a bit wetter. Being Wales.

It rides well and is fast in all conditions, so I wouldn’t worry about it too much. Just remember that high parts of The Beast can be quite exposed to the elements, so a large group will need warm things.

unless we get 2000inches of snow?

Two thousand inches of snow would be a worry, so I would avoid it then. We have just had nearly that amount of rain and high-velocity air molecules, so things might be a bit manky. But like I said CyB is pretty robust to the elements

any1 been there lately

No, sorry can’t help you there. Been off the bike for 5 weeks now with a broken sternum. But I do live just down the road and have probably been round The Beast ~20 times in the last 3 years, so I know it reasonably well..

davenorth1
    Free Member

maybe us wton folk will scare the rain away. and every1 else by the sound of it. we aint that bad. just a bit silly from all the Cannock slop

emac65
    Free Member

What,they let you Glasgows use OUR Chase as well ????

😉

Houns

* is ashamed*

rickt
    Free Member

You will only be cold if you dont have the right gear.

rtaylor777
    Free Member

It may be colder because of the altitude perhaps??

rtaylor777
    Free Member

also theres a rumour going round that single speed stu likes men.

chiefP
    Free Member

It may be colder because of the altitude perhaps??

CYB Visitor Centre (139m) is lower altitude wise compared to Llandegla Visitors Centre (359m) so so will be a few degrees warmer, at no point does CYB reach the heights of Degla’s lowest point.

Friday looks like Armageddon Round 2 so Waterproofs will be handy and staying within the trees gives you that bit more shelter, the exposed sections if you were doing Abel on the Dragon’s Back section would be a bit tricky if it’s blowing a gale.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘coed y brenin… too cold?’ is closed to new replies.