Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Coed-y-Brenin places to stay near by
  • mrlard
    Free Member

am off with a mate in a couple fo weeks time – can anyone point me in the right direction of a good cheap bike friendly place to stay. Within a stones throw from a pub?

toab
    Free Member

Last time I did a Coed Y Brenin trip we stayed at the Dolgellau YHA. Fair way out of the town and no pubs but the hostel has a licence and the booze is reasonably priced. About 20 minute drive from the trail centre.

Dolgellau itself might has plenty of pubs / b&bs that might be bike friendly.

bullheart
    Free Member

Llys Ednowain in Trawsfynydd.

Independent YH, fifteen minutes down the road. Fantastic facilities, bike cage, lovely staff!

£19 per night.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

http://www.coedybrenin.com/

Stayed at botht he ‘bungalow’ and the old miner’s cottages. Basic, nice aga though. Almost on the MBR route, lovely valley, pub is 10-15 mins ride away through.

sioncyn
    Free Member
    lunge

Cae Gwyn Farm is really nice but the pub is a bit if a trek

takisawa2

Torrent Walk Campsite, behind the Little Chef on the main road just before Dolgelleau, has a nice B+B, bike wash, secure storage etc. Is about 15mins from CyB, but for pubs I’d try somewhere other than whats on offer in Dolgelleau…was seemingly full of small-town-angst-syndrome shell-suit boys when we tried there.
    Theres a Pub/B&B on the main road just before CyB, Tal-y-Bont I think its called.

andycs

Tyn-y-Groes hotel/pub. Ride across the road and virtually straight onto The Beast.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Tyn-Y-Groes is superbly placed and has decent beers on. Food isn’t too bad either and its relatively cheap. Otherwise theres a holiday park just up the road at that place above beginning with T – they rent wooden chalets and theres a pub at the top end of the site. Bit of a ride from the trails though (unless theres a way to cut cross country?).

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Tyn-Y-Groes is superbly placed and has decent beers on. Food isn’t too bad either and its relatively cheap

Agreed. Always had an impeccable welcome there.

Otherwise theres a holiday park just up the road at that place above beginning with T – they rent wooden chalets and theres a pub at the top end of the site.

The horror……the horror…..Possibly the worst pub meal I have eaten. Cabins feel like you’re in some scary POW camp!

Cae Gwyn is very nice, as is this place;
    http://www.glynyraur.com/ Superb in mid-winter in the snow, equally so in the summer. It’s one hell of a trek to the pub, mind you!

stumpy01

+1 for Bullhearts suggestion in Trawsfynydd (spelling?!).

There’s a pub & a hotel with a bar in the village, plus one of two convenience stores & an HSBC cash point.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

http://www.bikers-retreat.com/accom/index.htm

In Dolgelleau, highly recommended. Drying room, tools, bike cleaning area, can store bikes inside, good food, cheap bar, very friendly owners

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Oh yeh, Flash, the whole place is a sh*t hole but it was cheap and sitting on the grass watching the sunset over the mountains when we were there beat the dark valley where the TyG is! Plus semi-p*ssed night riding was fun.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Oh yes, that sunset! (Not that I was there at the same time as you….I think…!) About the only thing to recommend the place, IMO!

We use Glyn yr Aur or the Tyn Y these days. One other tip re Glyn yr Aur – If you plan on riding from the accomodation, on to the trails and then do a full day on the trails, that last climb back up the road from the old Karrimor trailside cafe is a killer!

And, finally, I apologise for any of the literary gentertainment left in GYA…..

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Coed-y-Brenin places to stay near by’ is closed to new replies.