Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Coed Y Brenin or Marin and Penmachno. Choose one (or two in the case of B-y-C)
  • barca
    Free Member

I’ve only been to Coed Y Brenin once and that was about 8 years ago. I’ve done the Marin and Penmachno a few times and I like them.
    I have the day off this Friday and I was going to go and ride Penmachno and Marin trails but route planner says Coed y Brenin is only another 15 miles further on.
    I’m driving over early on Friday morning from Stockport and I have as long as I like so no need to rush back.
    I’d be interested to hear what you lot would choose. Coed Y Brenin or the two trails at Bwesty?
    Thanks

mrmojo
    Free Member

Give Machynlleth a blast I enjoyed it not far from Coed Y Brenin. So could maybe fit 2 in. 😀

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Did “The Beast” last weekend and it was good (although it was a but full on coming away from the trail center, wondered what I had let myself in for) but Penmachno was really good when we went there.
    Personally, after going to Llandegla (sp?) last weekend as well I would do, Penmachno, then go along The Marin trail until you can turn right and just do the final descent, then nip into Llandegla on the way home, because it is literally on the way home.
    That does sound a bit of a faff though… maybe Penmachno and Marin it is.

Russell96

Llyn Cowlyd with added Marin >>

http://www.flattyresmtbroutes.com/CapelCurig.html

RustySpanner

Link the ‘Slate Quarry’ and ‘Telegraph Valley’ rides together from the Bikefax book. Stop at the honey farm shop opposite the Spar in Llanberis halfway for a hot chocolate and some Bara Brith.

If you make it all the way up the Fachwen without swearing, I’ll buy you a pint!

dyls

What type of riding do you like?

CYB is technically the hardest although the Marin and Penmachno are also a good blast.

Llandegla is quite smooth compared to the above although a good workout.

clarkpm4242
    Free Member

As you’ve got the time, do something different for a change :))

If you are really fit enough to do Penmachno and the Marin in one day go to CyB and do Dragon’s Back followed by Tarw. If you have a slight doubt about the distance just go for the Beast :))

Oh yes, and a good warm up around the car park area will help set you up for the first section of the Beast/Dragon’s Back 🙂

Good luck with the weather..!

Paul

barca
    Free Member

Thanks for the suggestions so far.
    I ride in the Peak District on and off road.
    I normally park the car in Bwesty and ride up to the Marin and then back down through the town and up to Penmachno. I’ve not done it that way since the 2nd loop opened although I have ridden Marin and then connected it off road with Penmachno. If I do Marin/pen, I’ll do the road link as I have a PB to beat.
    Just wondered if the extra miles in the car to C-y-B over Marin and Pen. was worth it though?

flyingmonkeycorps

Personally I like C-y-B better than either of the above, although Penmachno is a close call… I’d do C-y-B for a change, there’s plenty of trails there to keep you busy!

hora
    Free Member

When did you last ride Penmachno?

CYB has changed since you last went. Im not sure if it would be more your thing now or less.

Personally I’d say Penmachno then have lunch in Bwetys-Y-Coed after. Partly because that Cafe does my head in at CYB and because Penmachno is ace! 😀

FROGLEEK
    Free Member

I rate Penmachno really fast and flowy. The Marin bored me for 23 Km and came alive for the last descent.
    CYB has something for everyone

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

CYB: The Beast if you haven’t done it as it’s probably changed a lot in 8 years. My only problem with CYB is how popular it is.

hora
    Free Member

Penmachno loops 1 and 2 is enough though? [assumption]CYB should be quieter as everyone will be back at work this week?[/assumption]

barca
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies. I think I’ll get over to Coed-y-Brenin then. Certainly nobody has suggested it’s not worth the extra few miles driving and it’ll mean I don’t have to beast myself trying to beat my previous time for a combined Penmachno and Marin ride.
    Thanks again.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Coed Y Brenin or Marin and Penmachno. Choose one (or two in the case of B-y-C)’ is closed to new replies.