Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Coed y Brenin
  • bgd
    Free Member

Spending half term with family near Carmarthen next week and have a day or two to myself. Usually spend my time between Afan and Brechfa but have always fancied heading up to Coed Y Brenin.

Probably a bit far to do in a day and still get some decent riding in so looking for suggestions for a bed and breakfast nearby, and also any recommendations for the best trails and how they compare to Afan and Brechfa.

Cheers

sofabear
    Free Member

Can’t help with B&B suggestions, we normally stay at the youth hostel in Corris which is a half hour drive from CyB.

With regards to how the trails compare to Afan and Brechfa, I think generally CyB and Afan are as good as each other. Brechfa IMO sucks great big donkey dick, too much effort for little fun.

I like the Tarw Du trail at CyB, you get pretty much all of the climbing done at the start. Beast and Dragon’s Back are enjoyable if you’ve got the time though you can cut both short by missing out a lot of fire road climbing between the cafe at the end of ‘Hermon’ to the start of ‘Gomez’ (i.e. skip the fire road between way point 118 and 124 – the trail is a short uphill section which is crap).

http://www.beicsbrenin.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/CyB_Dragons_Back.pdf

5thElefant
    Free Member

Why go to cyb when people you’ve got Brechfa on the doorstep?

Edit: should have read your post properly. Carry on…

trout
    Free Member

cant help on the trails but this is a great place to stop and not far from CYB

Graig wen B n B plus camping and Glamping

sofabear
    Free Member

You could also try Cwmcarn, best of the lot IMO.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Compared to Brechfa the black trails at cyb are a step up. Much more rocky and demanding and feel very man made compared to Brechfa.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Coed y Brenin’ is closed to new replies.