Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Coed Y Brenin
  • prezet
    Free Member

Off there this weekend, never been before, but my riding buddy tells me it’s one big rock garden all the way up and back down. Is this right?

diawl2
    Free Member

No.

jam-bo

yes.

twoniner
    Free Member

The Tarw trail possibly, the rest of it no.

The start of the MBR, Beast and Dragons Back is a bit bouncy but you’re soon over it.

lucien

Rock garden – really. It’s rocky, but wouldn’t describe as a rock garden, up or down.

bullandbladder
    Free Member

The first and last sections on the VC side are a bit rock-garden ish (just armour-plated trail, really). Not much else, though.

soobalias
    Free Member

less rock garden and more crazy paving.

think there is only one short section that i thought was a flowless, pointless, tech rock fest, but that was followed by a huge wide smooth bmx section. for contrast i guess.

composite
    Free Member

I did the The Beast last Saturday in the torrential rain. While a lot of it is quite rocky, describing it as rock garden wouldn’t be right.

The sections that have the armored crazy paving have far more grip in the wet than they look like they should have.

prezet
    Free Member

Phew. Thanks – think he’s winding me up 😉

prezet
    Free Member

We’ve got all day Saturday and Sunday morning to play – what trails would you recommend we check out? Ideally something nice to warm up on, then something a bit more techy/fast for the afternoon.

singletrackstinker
    Free Member

Was also there last weekend, we did Dragon’s back and MBR.

All in all i’d say it’s not too rocky, the first section which is designed to give you an idea of the worst of the trail is probably the most ridiculous because there’s a drop every few yard.

As people have already said, it’s more crazy paving than anything else. We ran middle(ish) pressures and didn’t suffer from any punctures and still had all our fillings at the end.

Not sure what you’re planning to do it on but my missus did dragon’s back on a Specialized Hardrock running standard crappy suntour forks and On-One Smorgasbord tyres and she survived. I ran a Specialized Purgatory Control up front and a Specialized Sauserwind on the rear, as far as I know neither are particularly thick/heavy tyres.

MBR has a few loose ascents (brutus springs to mind and a random fire road half way through. The 3rd or 4th stage on MBR/The Beast has a few rock gardens, if you could call them that, but after you’re through it’s significantly smoother. The last stage, beginning of the end, was also fairly rocky from memory.

Further round Dragon’s Back/MBR you’ve got Lurch and Pugsley’s Bottom which are both ‘armoured’ trails. They make you think a bit when you’re at the top but by the time you get to the end of the stage you’ll wish you took them on a bit quicker. 😀

If you’ve ridden Afan, you’ll think it’s more rocky than White’s Level of Y Wal but a lot of the time it’s completely fine.

A quick you tube search will see you right if you want to guage what the worst of it is likely to be.

Enjoy!

singletrackstinker
    Free Member

Some of our less MTBey friends did the ‘red fox’ run, i think it’s called cwflm coch or similar. They didn’t seem to think it was too challenging.

We did Dragon’s Back on day 1 and then MBR day 2. I thought day 2 was a bit short – we’d finished and were driving home by 12.30 so perhaps string another of the shorter reds on?

twoniner
    Free Member

Cyflym coch is a good warm up ride, it takes in all the fast flowy sections of the MBR, Dragons Back ect. The Tarw Trail is the rocky one although a cracking ride.

The rock section and small drop offs at the start of the MBR and so on are there to make more novice/newbie riders think twice about cracking on with the trail.

stevied
    Free Member

I’ll be there Saturday with a group of mates. Never been before so quite excited….
    Maybe a little more excited for the uplift day @ Antur on Sunday :mrgreen:

jonnyb1972
    Free Member

Got to do the beast, that’s basically a combination of mbr and dragons back.

prezet
    Free Member

Might bump into you stevied – if you see 2 blokes wheezing their way up, one on a Covert and one on a baby blue TGayboy LTC – say hi!

singletrackstinker
    Free Member

Slight thread hijack.

Not sure if it was anyone on STW but when we were at CyB a bunch of 8-12 blokes went past us on the most hilarious collection of retro rigid bikes. Some looked like they might’ve been lurking in the back of a shed for a decade or so.

I hoped to spot a Raleigh Marauder but didn’t…

ampthill

You just need to look at the maps carefully or you’ll end up doing the same bits over and over. I don’t have a map in front of me but I think if your ride the Beast and TAWR you’ve done most of it

If you need more trail to ride then do Penmacno, it might be on your way home

stevied
    Free Member

prezet – Member

Might bump into you stevied – if you see 2 blokes wheezing their way up, one on a Covert and one on a baby blue TGayboy LTC – say hi!
    Will do mate 😉
    I’ll be on a bright red Intense 6.6 🙂

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Many, but not all, the trail segments at CYB are more heavily armoured with steps, square edged blocks and slabs than most trail centre trails. More comfy and a bit easier to find flow riding a FS, but perfectly OK on a HT with a bit of talent.

prezet
    Free Member

Cool – looking forward to it now. Going to ride morning/avo, then head to the beach for a late afternoon swim, then hit the pub 🙂

Happy days.

matther01
    Free Member

My advice would be to try and mix and match the trails (the beast has an awful lot of fire road climbs for ecample).

I found Tarw to be the rockiest IMO…MBR is the most fun on its own but very short.

Make sure you do the blue if only to practice berm stuff etc…its a blast if you do it at the end after ditching your pack etc.

coatesy
    Free Member

If you want to avoid the rock slabs at the start, you can enter the trail from behind the centre(rather than under the giant suspension fork), and rejoin it a few hundred yard further on.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Coed Y Brenin’ is closed to new replies.