• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Coding/Computer Programming for kids
  • DrNickRiviera
    Free Member

Hi,

Trying to help my son get into computer programming but I’m a total novice. Can anyone help point me in the direction of some useful websites?

Thanks

Chris

molgrips
    Free Member

Roblox.

Try following their tutorials.

scrumfled
    Free Member

How old is he… whats his current ability/exposure….what sort of things interest him?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    spot
    Free Member

Scratch and/or python
    Carol vorderman has a book: coding for kids (I think its called)

scholarsgate
    Free Member

Start from scratch…

https://scratch.mit.edu/

Minecraft Raspberry Pi edition
    You can program minecraft with python.
    https://www.raspberrypi.org/learning/getting-started-with-minecraft-pi/

TheBrick
    Free Member

Skratch is the usual suggestion, but I would leave it to him as didn’t is horrible if you are not interested and easy to learn if you are.

Cougar

Raspberry Pi / Scratch.

Also, a bag of LEDs.

flaps
    Free Member

Code.org Hour of code’s a great place to start, I’d then go to Kodu. I’ve never been keen on Scratch.

That Voderman book’s great for an intro to Python, only costs £5 too.

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

How old is your son? I’ve started ours on Kano. You can download the open source OS and stick it in a raspberry PI. Good UI and good intro to programming, putting a computer together and making it do stuff

sillysilly
    Free Member

http://kano.me/ For 6+ – Get to play with simple code and hardware for both adults and kids.

GrahamS

Depends on his age.

Scratch or ScratchJr are good starts. Lots of stuff online for them and available on lots of platforms including web-based, tablet apps, Raspberry Pi.

Other ideas: the LightBot app, Code-a-pilla, MiRobot, Arduino,

DrNickRiviera
    Free Member

Sorry i should have said he is 10 but pretty intelligent and good at maths. We get frustrated at times as he just plays the same games and we want him to explore a bit more.

I want to be able to give him some options to look at and do some of it with him so your suggestions are good. I will look at books and the websites with him tomorrow and xheck out the raspberry pi ting.

Thanks

Chris

zzjabzz
    Free Member

Roblox.

Try following their tutorials.

My youngest (15) spends hours on this. It’s not just playing the games, he can code in Lua now and creates some great 3D models.

He’s learned a bit of Python at school too.

As stated above, Scratch may be better for a 10 year old, moving on to other languages as he gets older…

Cougar

we want him to explore a bit more

Does he?

scrumfled
    Free Member

Like Cougar alludes to, he has to be interested/see a benefit if you want him to take it up. Maybe look at the games hes playing and see if they support scripting/add ons…. or if theres a community doing modifications.

Another angle might be doing stuff with his smartphone, since they seem to be cybernetically attached to kids nowadays 😉

DrNickRiviera
    Free Member

Cougar, Scrum,

Probably not but its all about options, he didn’t want to swim/play rugby/use the play station but he now loves them so its just about giving options. He likes minecraft so that is a good one to start with and will look at some of the suggestions this weekend.

Thanks all

doublezero
    Free Member

Get the Carol Vorderman book its a great starting point with some easy projects to get you started in Scratch and Python.

Check your area for local coding clubs my daughter is at a coderdojo run by volunteers with decent knowledge of coding, she’s a year in and coding in java and she’s only 10.

ethanscott
    Free Member

Scratch and/or python
    Carol vorderman has a book: coding for kids (I think its called)

I agree. Getting coding for kids is an excellent idea and Carol Vorderman does enunciate the topics pretty clearly.

With the rising demand in the IT industry, it seems like a nice idea to get your kid equipped with coding so that he/she has some background knowledge.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Coding/Computer Programming for kids’ is closed to new replies.