Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Cod Liver Oil, Glucosamine…snake oil?…
  • slowclimb
    Free Member

As I get older various me+speed+lackofskill=hittingthegroundhard incidents have left me with pretty achy joints, does anybody use any cod liver oil, glucosamine etc? Do you think they work/are worth the money?

slowclimb
    Free Member

Sorry mods, wrong board… me bad 😳

FuzzyWuzzy

Cod liver oil is generally agreed to be of benefit, glucosamine hasn’t faired well in rigorous (valid) testing

thejesmonddingo

Cod liver oil is a good source of fat soluble vitamins such as A,D and E.I’ve tried it with glucosamine for 6 months and then without,and could not tell any difference personally.It’s important to stick to the recommended dose,as these vitamins accumulate in the liver,and are toxic in excess.

slowclimb
    Free Member

Thing I’ve noticed is that cod liver oil always seems to have extra vitamin d and a in it. I take a multivitamin every day and dont want to foie gras my liver. Do you know of one without that added in?

thejesmonddingo

I wouldn’t worry about the added vitamins,as long as you stick to the recommended dose.Morrisons used to sell pure cod liver oil,but with out the gelatin capsule it tastes a bit grim :mrgreen:

slowclimb
    Free Member

thejesmonddingo – you beat me to it!

uphilla
    Free Member

Take both, from Healthspan. Started taking the Glucosomine some years back when I had really bad joint pain after a weekend of riding, (The combination with MSM etc. was recommended on here). Pain has never recurred, (apart from what I might expect at my age). Have only started taking the Cod liver Oil recently. Not scientific, but seems to have worked for me…

Merlinman

Taking both on the specific advice of the consultant who replaced my left ACL some 8 years ago. Low daily dose, no ill effects; whether there’s any real benefit – who knows but at nearly 68 I’m still riding rough stuff regularly 🙂

cinnamon_girl

Agree with uphilla. I take 1500 mcg daily and have been since my running days that were many years ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Cod Liver Oil, Glucosamine…snake oil?…’ is closed to new replies.