Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Cobbled farm tracks near Edinburgh. Are there any?
  • kennyp
    Free Member

Are there any cobbled farm tracks (of the Roubaix or Flanders type) in the countryside surrounding Edinburgh?

I’m trying to organise a spring classics type ride for a group of friends for a bit of fun. I’ve got a route that I think takes in a lot of the features that make the classics so great, things like short, sharp climbs, bits of off-road (strade morrone more than strade bianchi admittedly!), narrow country lanes, dodgy road surfaces, street furniture and even some Belgian beer at the end. The one thing I’m missing though is a stretch of pavé.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

So.. your looking for cobbles to ride on and decide this is best outside of the one city in Scotland that is quite famous for it’s cobbles…HMMMM? good luck maybe ask @scotroutes on here, as he has a mine of info on the routes round Lothian but I doubt you’ll find what your lookin for outside of the city.
    The boys from Ronde in Edinburgh do a shop ride on the monring of the Paris Roubaix and then finish at the shop to watch the actual race, there might be beer too. Look them up.

miketually
    Free Member

There must be a cobbled back lane in a village somewhere en route?

StirlingCrispin

Culross has awesome cobbles to ride up and down on.

And the ones up to Stirling castle from the town, sorry city, rattle my fillings.

BikePawl
    Free Member

There is the track that continues on from the Currie Kirk climb, between west Kinleith and mid Kinleith

kennyp
    Free Member

I do know of loads of cobbled streets in Edinburgh, including one or two brutally steep wee climbs (Gloucester Street being one) but was hoping most of the ride would be out in open country. Might have a squint at one or two of the wee villages, although from experience most villages have got rid of the cobbles. Worth checking though.

I know the Culross cobbles, but unfortunately they are too far off the route I have in mind. Ditto Stirling Castle.

bazookajoe
    Free Member

Dalmeny estate, though not cobbled, has a good rough element to the bits marked “metalled tracks” on it’s map.

kennyp
    Free Member

Where’s the track between Mid and Wester Kinleith? I can’t picture it, although I’m up that way a lot. I have got the Lymphoy Rd in my route but that’s at the bottom of Kirkgate.

bigyinn
    Free Member

The Royal Mile has a few cobbles IIRC.

bazookajoe
    Free Member

South Queensferry high street? It’s cobbled

BikePawl
    Free Member

At the top of the Currie Kirk road, the road bears right and another turns left to the Farm at Easter Kinleith.
    Straight ahead is a track that is muddy at first with a couple of monstrous puddles.
    Continuing up there is woodland on the right which has “Pistachio way” running through it.
    Grid Ref NT 187 667 is the start.

kennyp
    Free Member

Ah, I know the track you mean. I thought at first you were referring to a track between the two farms.

That track is called Ranges Rd because of the old rifle range just beyond the woods. I had thought about it, but the upper part is just too broken up for road bikes I think. Good shout though, ta.

kennyp
    Free Member

The boys from Ronde in Edinburgh do a shop ride on the monring of the Paris Roubaix and then finish at the shop to watch the actual race, there might be beer too. Look them up.

I’ve been in Ronde a few times and to be honest it never comes across as the friendliest of places, not compared to other bike shops I frequent. Don’t get me wrong, I’m a big fan of supporting your LBS, and I’m maybe doing them an injustice, but it always strikes me as being a bit of a clique. I’d be more than happy to be proved wrong though.

kennyp
    Free Member

Ad re the other suggestions, Dalmeny is a good call, but as for Queensferry and the Royal Mile, they fall outside the “farm track” remit I’m afraid. But ta anyway.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Cobbled farm tracks near Edinburgh. Are there any?’ is closed to new replies.