Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Coatings for various lenses? "Hydrophilic/Hydrophobic/Super-hydrophobic"
  • cookeaa

After a weekend of sodden eye wear and some rather blurred helmet cam footage I’ve decided to look into getting some sort of coating (Spray-on ideally) that I can apply to my riding glasses lenses and my Helmet cam too, in order to get water to run straight off…

There seem to be lots of “Wonder Products” advertised, mainly from the US, often with a demonstrational video showing water beading up and running off of just about anything, but I can only find a couple of products that actually seem to be available in the UK, This makes me wary and I’m not too keen on buying a chemical product from overseas, especially if it turns up with a Wad of COSHH data (I am planning to stick this stuff next to my eyes after all).

So has anyone sourced such products for this sort of purpose from the UK and how effective did you find it?

jonba
    Free Member

I would try diving shops, opticians and ski shops as I imagine it is the same as the anti mist materials they use.

Stuff I use is industrial (at work as I wear a lot of glasses and googles) doesn’t seem to help much – ventilation is the key for misting – can’t help with rain.

cookeaa

Well I’ve used Bob Heath Visor spray for years to try and keep fog under control on Goggles and glasses, along with vented lenses and tearing out foam etc, but this weekend I was having real issues with water droplets building up, fogging wasn’t really the problem TBH… It was just a silly wet day…

I really want something that helps Water to run straight off, there seem to be some products that work for this, I suppose they might also help reduce fogging too, Oakley even do a “HYDROPHOBIC PEN LENS CLEANER” apparently, could be worth a pop…

I’ve found a couple of things to try maybe mostly pitched at the automotive market:

-“Rain Away Water Resistant Helmet Visors & Car Bike Glass spray”
    -“Bluecol glass treatment water repellant”
    -“RAIN-X RAIN REPELLENT”

There’s a few others too, they all claim to help water clear from, windscreens and visors, think I’ll just give one or other a try unless anyone has an actual recommendation for something…

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Coatings for various lenses? "Hydrophilic/Hydrophobic/Super-hydrophobic"’ is closed to new replies.