Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Coasts and castles north – Edinburgh to Aberdeen (Sustrans)
  • dknwhy

Looking at doing this route over a few days in June on the cross bike. Anyone done it? Good route?
    Is it all tarmac?
    Anything to visit/avoid?
    Planning on camping along the way.

sparksmcguff

Couldn’t say whether it’s all tarmac or not though it seems to be up around aberdeen. Lunan bay is worth a visit – beautiful unspoilt bay north of Arbroath. Dunnotar castle just outside of Stonehaven is impressive.

jamiep
    Free Member

I’ve not done it yet but posted two links here. I’ve a one-dayer route planned based on these that is 126m to/from Edinburgh

A suggestion was that the coast route is a no-go with a bike

sparksmcguff

Doesn’t the national cycle way follow roads that are just off the coast road. Certainly up around Aberdeen going down to Johnshaven it is all on minor roads (not the coast road) except for a very short stretch outside of Stonehaven.

scotroutes

Pretty sure it’s all tarmac. I did a ride from Edinburgh to Inverness via the coast and that was on the Sustrans route much of the way. The bike had 28mm GP4seasons on.

dknwhy

Thanks for the replies, I was hoping it was tarmac or gravel as I want to do a leisurely tour really and the train links from London to Edinburgh are good.

scotroutes

Might be worth a detour through Tentsmuir forest too. Nice tracks, lots of interest and a potential camp spot for your first night?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Coasts and castles north – Edinburgh to Aberdeen (Sustrans)’ is closed to new replies.