Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Coast to Coast Mountainbike route
  • banger
    Free Member

Anyone out there done the coast to coast off road? I’m thinking about it but not sure how tough it is and best route? There’s a book by Tim Woodcot I was thinking of buying. Any help gratefully received!!

sheeps

years and years ago, mbuk published a route, which we rode. properly hard through the lakes. went something like this; whitehaven, ennerdale, black sail pass, wasdale head, styhead, langdale, troutbeck, high street, across Eden valley to dufton, cross fell, garrigill and then joins the current f2f route

tommygee
    Free Member

Yep it’s a great route, but not to be underestimated. The lakes days really take their toll, we set off to do it on 5 days and it ended up taking 7 and a half. Over two years! It was amazing though. A must do.

matt_outandabout

Which coast to coast – presume if you are looking at that book you mean one of the Scottish routes?

Did it a few years back – most was ace, last day and finish in Montrose was rubbish.
    C2C2006093

sheeps

tommygee… first attempt was disastrous – with panniers, stuck in Easter snow on high street, avoided cross fell (snow). Second attempt self-supported with lightweight kit, 3 days with a tailwind assist! Yep great route but you’re right… not to be underestimated!

tommygee
    Free Member

3 days you whippet! There’s an article online about a mentalist who did it in 24hrs (nearly). No idea how. The Tim Woodcock route book (St Bees to Robin Hood’s Bay) is old school but very helpful. We used it to mark up OS maps and went from there.

Next time I would do PLENTY of 40 mile real-mountain day rides as preparation. I would love to do the 500 mile Dumfries to Fort William route next. Anyone done it?

Ringo
    Free Member

I did it two years ago (St bees to robin hood bay), me and a mate started off but after black sail pass my mate was a beaten man the weather turned and so did he (to the train station) i carried on and finished it on my own, parts of it were downright scary other parts were amazing. It took me 5 days singlespeed i have gpx routes should you need them.
    sherpavan
    thats a good website to plan your accomodation with and they will also carry your luggage if it suits. I carried my own and so long as your careful with what you take its not to bad

banger
    Free Member

Thanks – looks like I need to get the miles in as I was hoping to do it in 5 days max – although it took me two days to get across the Lakes end last year! Any GPX routes would be appreciated!

postierich
    Free Member

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nzrich/sets/72157624943948623/St Bees to Scarborough Woodcock route 3 days and 3 hours ! hoped to do it in 3 days but took a wrong turning coming out of reef in the dales which set us back.
    Some pics

monkeyharris
    Free Member

When I was young and daft my mate and I did the Whitehaven to Sunderland one mentioned in the first reply. 22 hours, fuelled by tea cakes and fish and chips before the last big climb out of Stanhope. I fell asleep chain ganging down the railway near Consett using a Petzl head torch and again while a mate fixed a puncture for me as I lay down amongst the dog turds and broken glass near Sunderland.

Russell96

Did this little 181 mile gem back in 2010, not heard of anyone mad enough to re-attempt it yet

http://www.theedgecycleworks.com/mtbroutes/north-wales-coast-2-coast-day-1

rone

Did it last year (also did it 10 years ago), 5 days which is still a slog. Quite a bit of hike and bike but as long as you expect that then no real issue. I have a complete fox if needed, made a couple of tweaks this time around and weather was great. We had a biggish group and a support van and driver. The most fantastic thing is watching the terrain change in such a short space of time. 5 days makes the first day silly hard, but seven makes it a little light .

tyredbiker
    Free Member

not heard of anyone mad enough to re-attempt it yet

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Coast to Coast Mountainbike route’ is closed to new replies.