• This topic has 4 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by joat.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Coast to coast June 24th 2017. 150miles in a day.
  • stoddys
    Free Member

So a friend has asked me to join their team for the 2017 coast to coast.
    My bike is a speclized Allez comp from 2006. It’s now got ultegra wheels.

http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/BikeSpecs.aspx?Year=2006&Brand=Specialized&Model=Allez%20Comp%20Double&Type=bike

I prefer riding mountian bikes but have a road bike to keep miles in the legs.
    Is my road bike the right thing for the job? I will change the cassette for the hills, but is it more race than comfort.
    Not got much in the budget if I need something more comfortable, perhaps just a frame change.

Suggestions please.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Sounds like an ideal bike for the job.

TomB

If it’s the coast to coast in a day sportive from sea scale, you go straight up Hardknott at the start, and have a few 25% climbs in N Yorks just before the end. That bike looks like it has a standard chainset, so you may need to go for an MTB cassette and mech to get low enough for those climbs, depending how strong you are. When I moved to the lakes I had 53/39 chainset and went for a cassette with a 32t biggest cog. Now have a compact and 28t, which is fine.

stoddys
    Free Member

That’s what I was thinking for the rear end. Good point for the front.

joat

It’s a good well organised event, I did it last year. As long as the bike is comfortable, you’ll be fine. I slammed the stem on my Trek Domane to get a racy position, it’s a long day out and longer if you don’t keep up a good pace. Fit fatter tyres if you can because some of the roads are failing chip seal and a bit more cushioning won’t go amiss. A big lowest gear is a must if you don’t want to wreck your legs on Hardknot and Wrynose and there are a couple of bastid hills on the Yorkshire Dales and Moors which will benefit from an easier gear.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Coast to coast June 24th 2017. 150miles in a day.’ is closed to new replies.