Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Coast 2 Coast
  • RegP
    Free Member

Afternoon all, I have been tasked with the office fund raiser, which is a coast to coast ride possibly looking at next year now. Being the only regular rider it landed in my lap. I know there is a website, and not yet had a look at it fully, but though a few of you on here might have done it, or have experience. We probably would be looking at 3 days tops, is this feasible?
    Couple of quick questions are, is there just one route?
    We are based in Loughborough so slap bang in the middle of the country, so might need to keep it close to home, but can travel.
    Comments of like a lot to be off road were made, is it doable by novice riders with a bit of training.
    Can anyone let me have your thoughts?

Thanks in advance

nockmeister
    Free Member

The record for the C2C is 9hrs…yeah 3days is VERY doable!

There are several recognised routes varying from 130miles ish

RegP
    Free Member

There seems to be a website for one designated route, is there one that shows all of the routes or a book to show this.

ARP

scruzer
    Free Member

St Bees (Cumbria) to Robinhoods Bay (N.Yorks) is the one to go for if referring to offroad/mtb. It pretty much follows the old Wainwrights route and was well published in book form though i think its not in publication currently. The book's recommended time is 8 days but me and my mate did in 4 with car support. Our route was… ST.Bs to Boot, Bt to Shap, Shp to Osmotherly and Osmoth RHB. Try the EBay for the guide book?

roadie_in_denial
    Free Member

I thought the cyclists version was different to the walkers coast to coast? See, I walked Wainwright's coast to coast years ago…took me 10 days if anyone's interested, and when I lived in the NE the C2C cyclists route finished in Shields somewhere (can't remember which side of the Tyne…south I think).

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I'm doing the C2C in July – we're aiming to do it in around 14-15hrs.

I have the C2C map pack & it is quite detailed. We are doing the route from Whitehaven to Sunderland & i have a question as well :-

The route has several 'traffic free' sections. Can anyone tell me if they are paved or just gravel tracks. We are aiming to do this on bikes with slick tyres (a mtb, a flat-barred road bike & a 'crosser) in order to keep the speed up. Obviously this will be a pain if the route is gravel etc.

yetiguy
    Free Member

I did it. 155 miles in 12 hours.

Great sense of acheivement. Go for it.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Yeti –

I'm assuming you did it on a road bike with that time? Did you ride the traffic free sections or use the road alternatives?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Coast 2 Coast’ is closed to new replies.