Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Coaching/programmes
  • jet26
    Free Member

Seriously considering getting a proper training programme written.

Based in yorkshire – anyone recommend anyone?

Aware some free ones around on web but have to come to realise ride much more and enjoy it more when got a clear focus and a plan.

Any advice would be great on good or bad experiences.

Aware coaching is influenced by personality too so always a bit suck it and see.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Some recommendations and experiences on this thread. I think some may be up North.

FWIW, I don’t think location makes much difference as with calls, emails, Skype, FaceTime, etc. it’s easy enough to chat about stuff and pass data around.

I guess it all depends on what your goals are, how serious you take it, how much you want to spend etc. But generally, I’d recommend it.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

No idea about paid for plans (I suspect the act of paying for it is probably a big motivator), but I had some benefit from just taking some free plans out of a magazine and translating them into trainerroad sessions.

I always find doing intervals on the road really hard to do consistently. Most structured I can do is either go out for an hour, and aim to spend as much time at a perceived threshold as I can (which is probably as close as I’ll get to 2x20min) or find a few hills which make up 4x5min. At least on Trainerroad you know what you’re doing.

Just following a plan on the road didn’t work for me as the improvements are so slow/gradual (especially for threshold training, 10% in 10 weeks is considered good!) that it was hard to stay motivated as there was no way of judging if you were doing it right.

Have a read of “training and racing with a power meter” and “racing weight”, if coaching isn’t rocket science, then getting average Jo-Bogs a bit fitter is barely GCSE chemistry.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Most structured I can do is either go out for an hour, and aim to spend as much time at a perceived threshold as I can

My old flatmate is a BC qualified cycling coach part time and full time at the pringle with the track inside in that london.

he said the biggest problem he came across was middle aged men who thought they knew better than him and would go out and beast themselves thinking it was the right thing to do and generally ignore the structured program he had given them.
    the ones that listen have just picked up some golds/silvers at the track nationals last week 🙂

without a clear target to aim for i would save the money and just ride your bike/beast yourself at every opportunity 😉

jet26
    Free Member

Started riding tts so goal will be 10s/25s for next year…

mrblobby
    Free Member

Started riding tts so goal will be 10s/25s for next year…

Was in much the same position last year, had done a couple of 10’s and wanted a decent go at it this year (basic aim was to not be shit!) Didn’t want to risk mucking about with putting together a plan myself so got it done for me. I’ve also been far better at sticking to it than if I’d have done it myself. Some good results too.

jet26
    Free Member

Mr blobby who wrote your programme?

mrblobby
    Free Member

I went with Jon at Palmares. Sends me a new plan every couple of weeks or so. I post my ride files. We chat a bit about it. It’s been good.

he said the biggest problem he came across was middle aged men who thought they knew better than him and would go out and beast themselves thinking it was the right thing to do and generally ignore the structured program he had given them.

Interestingly the work I’ve been doing since being coached has involved far less beasting! At times I’ve been a bit worried about the lack of intensity but it all seems to be working well.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

middle aged men who thought they knew better than him and would go out and beast themselves thinking it was the right thing to do

I’m not middle aged though :-p

It seems to be working as well as can be expected. A couple of times a week I have to commute a bit further which leaves me about an hour on almost flat roads on the fat bike* and passes through a traffic jam at about the mid point. It’s about as close to 2×20 as you can get without a power meter and stopwatch. That and breaking my commute up into 4x5min a couple of times a week on afternoons when my legs are feeling fresh.

I don’t doubt a properly structured plan would be better, but the occasional 20min test on trainerroad says it’s working. If I had a power meter I’d probably pay for a plan.

*ironically it’s been great for fitness, on the road bike finding long empty roads to do a consistent 20minutes was impossible, the fatty means they only need to be 5 miles long and not even that straight as you can pedal it round corners!

ferrals
    Free Member

I’m planning on getting a hr monitor and thinking about getting a proper training plan sorted too as I want to train this winter properly. Thing I’m not so sure about is given that you seem to pay for a 12-week plan or similar, when the best time to start is. I’m not flush with cash so couldn’t just start paying now and keep getting plans till next Feb/Mar. So is it better getting a plan in September for the base phase or in Jan for the ‘power’ phase?

I’m also not sure if its a bit of a waste of money at my level (shoddy sports cat racer).

I was looking at the Torq programme, seems quite good as they do a six month training plan and a full fitness test. Anyone used them?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Coaching/programmes’ is closed to new replies.