Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Coaching corner – mixed ability training sessions
  • fifeandy
    Free Member

Hi all,

I’m looking to broaden my self coaching knowledge here.
    I’ve read Friel cover to cover about 10 times along with unknown hours reading various training blogs.
    Pretty familiar with all the basic interval sessions 2×20’s, 5×5’s etc and what energy systems they target.
    However sometimes I run across sessions that incorporate multiple types of interval into one training session.

Can anyone explain:
    A) what sort of impact that has on the body, and if mixing two types of interval hinders/benefits the gains compared to just focusing on one type per session
    B) If mixing is indeed a good thing, what are some good combinations and why?

And for bonus points, what is the best way to incorporate MTB descending practice into a training plan? Most of the time to practice this stuff its going to require a healthy dose of climbing, and bursty power which doesn’t particularly fit with any type of interval session or a z2 endurance ride.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Dunno what you’re talking about but when I spent one summer trying to actually train I had a little loop that I’d do intervals on. It was about a ten second climb flat out followed by a rooty descent which some great corners and then a shirt flat bit to recover before repeating. I’d do this about ten times I think. I wouldn’t try and do the descent fast but would concentrate on technique and think about what I was doing.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Bump to see if evening crowd have any wisdom to bestow.

vdubber67
    Free Member

If you’re working to Friel, I’d suggest it’s unlikely that you’re trying to work two different things at the same time really anyway? If you’re talking about short, high intensity intervals you’re working anaerobic endurance. If you’re doing longer, lower intensity intervals you could be working muscular endurance. I reckon a session trying to deal with both at the same time would just be a bit awkward if nothing else…?

Regarding the descending practice. You could easily put that into a Z2 endurance ride surely (it counts as ‘speed skills’ in Friel’s world?) Just ride up some hills in Z2, and descend to practice skills. Your ‘bursty power’ as you put it is better developed in a power-specific training session anyway? Practice flow/tech riding as part of speed skills in a Z2 ride is my suggestion.

Rich

cookeaa

What’s the actual goal of this programme you’re working up? Racing XC, Enduro, endurance, triathlon? or simply training for general fitness and being able to push harder for longer whenever you ride?

You say you read freil cover to cover, which book? He’s written a few, not that I have read them, but his programmes and advice are quite targeted depending on what the individuals goals are…

vdubber67
    Free Member

Fast after 50? 😉

fifeandy
    Free Member

@vdubber67, yes thats about what i thought, but i’m not fit enough to do the climbs at GT or Comrie all in z2 i’m afraid – to be fair to myself, i doubt many people are.
    Also, whilst i think the Training Bible is a great starting point for anyone and would always recommend it, however like to keep my mind open to other ways of doing things. If you read his blog even he conceeds that some elements of the bible may be out of date.

@cookeaa, definitely endurance events for 2017, GT7, 10under, Dragon Ride Devil distance for example and the big goal likely to be Relentless24.

I think i’ve definitely neglected short efforts in the past in favour of endurance and threshold efforts. I think if i was tested i’d have an exceptionally flat CP curve. Would be nice to pull up 10s power without sacrificing elsewhere.
    Descending is definitely a weakness, that has just come from coming to mtb from road and not having access to technical singletrack close by.

vdubber67
    Free Member

How have you calculated your zone boundaries? You should be able to sit and winch your way up most things in Z2….

fifeandy
    Free Member

LTHR calculated by 30min test as usual. Confirmed by numerous european mountain climbs. I find anything over about 6% gradient offroad forces me out of zone on the trail bike.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Coaching corner – mixed ability training sessions’ is closed to new replies.