Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Coach Bolts without the Square shoulder thing??
  • afrothunder88

Hello all,

Im looking for some coach bolts to secure hinges on a shed door but I can only seem to find ones with a square shoulder under the head like these:

This isn’t a good fit for the hinges with round screw holes as the should sits proud of that.

Should I just hammer it down and hope to bend the hinge hole?

The alternatives I’ve seen are coach screws but I’m worried that if a scrote can get purchase on that they may be able to pull it out?

Even the Beef Up kit from Security for Bikes seems to have the shoulder on the bolts.

Cheers

wwaswas

This isn’t a good fit for the hinges with round screw holes as the should sits proud of that.

My experience is that the square bits just expand the round holes as you tighten the nut and then sit flush.

Cougar

Yeah.

I wouldn’t have thought what the OP describes actually exists – what’s to stop the head from just spinning as you tighten the nut otherwise?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    TheBrick
    Free Member

The square shoulder is meant to pull into the wood. Drill out the hinge if the hinge hole is not big enough.

revs1972
    Free Member

They do exist, but cant find a supplier in this country

http://www.tufnutworks.com/security-bolts

rankbadjin
    Free Member

You could always file the hinges to allow the square section to locate securely. Dunno if you’ve bought them yet afrothunder88 but I have a rake of them left over from a job you’d be more than welcome to.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Just drill out the holes on the hinge, that’s what I did. You don’t have to drill a hole that completely contains the square section as the corners will deform and bent the hinge as you tighten such that they sit flush.

andyl
    Free Member

Or fit some like this and double nut them to act as lock nuts (ditch the square nuts for proper ones). That way if anyone tried to turn them with the cross the nuts should be locked together and just spin with the bolt.

bencooper
    Free Member

Could just bung ’em in a lathe and take off the square – you might need to use molegrips to hold the bolt while you tighten it though.

If you’re near Glasgow I could easily do in my lathe for you.

antigee

….well they wouldn’t be coach bolts ?

anyway

“andyl – Member
    Or fit some like this and double nut them to act as lock nuts (ditch the square nuts for proper ones).” …..and araldite the doubled up nuts

or a couple of suitable size washers under the head of a coach bolt

think would 150% avoid coach screws – very easy to remove and can be done silently

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Coach Bolts without the Square shoulder thing??’ is closed to new replies.