Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • CO2 pumps – how to stop you hands from freezing?
  • foxyrider
    Free Member

I know you can get neoprene covers for the bottles but anyone use a cheap alternative or even, dare I say it, free/home made kit apart from gloves (in the cold and wet I wanna keep my cloves on but doing tyres is difficult with gloves on 😉 ) for these little canisters:

DaveVanderspek
    Free Member

Gaffer tape.

uplink
    Free Member

cut a finger off an old pair of gloves

MrSmith
    Free Member

you can get foam sleeves to fit them.

foxyrider
    Free Member

you can get foam sleeves to fit them.

please read my OP 😉

Gaffer tape.

Not bad – keep em comming. I dont have any really knacked old glove unfortunately but great idea 🙂

TooTall
    Free Member

Pull your sleeve down a bit over your hand?
    Wrap the glove you don't want to wear whilst doing tyres around it?

How complicated do you want to make it? Really – how difficult?

foxyrider
    Free Member

How complicated do you want to make it? Really – how difficult?

Blimey its only a question to a little problem – chill out!

wwaswas

2 inch section of foam pipe lagging does the job but is relatively bulky (but light).

I just use a bit of cloth to wrap the cannisters in my bag with a rubber band around it to hold them in place and then use the cloth to hold them if I need to use them

tragically1969
    Free Member

I got a bulk box of Giant branded CO2 bottles that have the foam bit stuck on the bottle already.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

what too tall said

it's hardly complicated 😯

i always keep my gloves on to change tyres, you get filthy hands otherwise and we can't have that now can we

foxyrider
    Free Member

I was just asking how others stopped their hands from sticking to the canisters – thats all 🙄 .The typical STW minority replies keep on comming "it's hardly complicated ". Thanks for that statement I didn't realise it was not complicated – sheesh!

Thanks to all with sensilbe replies 😉

cp

i just keep my gloves on.

foxyrider
    Free Member

BTW I was out the ohter night and my tyre blew out and I had my big waterproof winter gloves on, and changing a tight road tyre in the peeing rain and in the dark. Hence my OP 😉

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

ooooh i'm in a minority 🙂

does that mean the Daily Mail hates me now?

devs
    Free Member

You could pick some daisies and make them into a few chains and then knit a cannister cover. Alternatively you could use a bit of common dog, finding something to go between your hand and the cannister isn't exactly the hardest thing to do is it? I've got a foam one and a plastic mesh thing that came with the inflators.

cyclistm
    Free Member

inner tube and gaffer tape

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Do everything else with gloves off, then put them back on for the final act?

Failing that, how about making tubes of rolled up corrugated cardboard – if it's good enough to stop thermo-nuclear coffee melting your skin it'll do a similar job when the temp is cryogenic. May have to experiment with how much to use.

NB: – cardboard may not play nicely with the rain scenario you mention…..

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

[sensible hat on]

something insulating like an old sock, maybe a hiking one

inner tubes are no good as rubber is a crap thermal insulator

gaffer tape will likely start to wear as it rattles around in your bag and will turn sticky, it also behaves poorly when wet/cold which are the two things that cannisters become when you use them

foxyrider
    Free Member

Ta for the replies 😉 Its not a biggy just was interested if anyone had come up with something free (as I am a tight wad) and ingenious 🙂

Edit: Ahh – what about the padded envelopes – the ones containing bubble wrap coated in paper – then gaffer tape around the outside – cool 🙂 Cheers for the insipration Bristolbiker 🙂

stumpy01

How about an old knobbly tyre?
    Cut a strip to size & cable tie it to the canister. If you do it knobbles facing in, then the small gap this will create, should stop the cold getting to the main bulk of the rubber you are holding.

foxyrider
    Free Member

yeh not bad idea stumpy – if I can find one – had a chuck out a while ago 😉

br
    Free Member

stay in the kitchen, its warm and uncomplicated

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Ta for the replies Its not a biggy just was interested if anyone had come up with something free (as I am a tight wad) and ingenious

This seems a bit odd. If you're tight (I am!) then why use CO2 in the first place? A pump is cheaper, and more reliable!

mefty
    Free Member

An old grip?

juan
    Free Member

Can you warp space into a universe with different laws of physics?

Coleman
    Free Member

A 50mm section of road inner tube fits nicely over a 16g cartridge. Not highly insulating but takes the sting off and is cheap,light and not bulky.

Failing that use a ribbed condom!

foxyrider
    Free Member

This seems a bit odd. If you're tight (I am!) then why use CO2 in the first place? A pump is cheaper, and more reliable!

Coz I don't mind paying for something I can't make but am a tight wad to pay for a piece of rubber or plastic for a £1 and pay £4 postage for something I can make for free. Point made?

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘CO2 pumps – how to stop you hands from freezing?’ is closed to new replies.