Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Co-codamol and Nurofen ExPress – can I take together?
  • webwonkmtber
    Free Member

Getting hammered by an awful headache. Took Anadin Extra and it did nothing. Moved onto Co-codamol after 5 hour gap. Had food and drink. The co-codamol is helping a small amount. I also have Nurofen Express – any reason not to take that? About one hour since taking co-codamol. Thanks.

johndoh
    Free Member

Call 111?

doncorleoni
    Free Member

Cocodamol is paracetamol and codeine (usually 8mg). Nurofen is ibuprofen. You can take paracetamol and ibuprofen together as they metabolise differently and have different mechanisms of action.

Usually docs recommend (to me anyway) to take them an hour apart but also said no harm in taking together unless you have liver / kidney issues.

Few docs on here so I am sure you will get better advice than from a mechanical engineer.

*disclaimer I am not a doctor. If you die don’t blame me and can I have your bikes please.

Cougar

It’s just Ibuprofen isn’t it? You’ll be fine if so. Whether it’ll make a difference depends on the cause, it’s an anti-inflammatory not a pain killer.

Drink plenty of water, that’ll probably help more with the hangover headache.

tjagain

IIRC nurofen express is just a very expensive form of ibuprofen. Ibuprofen and paracetomol are often prescribed together and make an effective combo. How this cocktail would combine with the codeine in co codamol I don’t know. I would be wary especially as 3 differnt drugs together can be unpredictable. The NHS advice website is often a good source of data

allthegear
    Free Member

Codeine, paracetamol and ibuprofen can be safely taken in combination but I’d be concerned as to why you are thinking you need all three. Something must hurt, a lot?

Unless you are already aware of the cause, I’d like to suggest you get yourself somewhere the might be able to find out, rather than just masking the symptoms of whatever it is.

edit – if it’s a hangover, just have some Irn-Bru. It’s magical.

Rachel

jimjam
    Free Member

Mmmmm, co-codamol. So moreish.

tjagain

Aye – as Rachel says thats broken bone+ level of pain

allthegear
    Free Member

so more-ish and yet totally ineffective in reducing pain in 10% of patients…

Rachel

DezB
    Free Member

I’ve got some naproxen here you can have. Doing sod-all for my bloody* shoulder.

*bloody as in swears, not actual blood

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

My wife does (she gets both proscribed for her back pain on its moderate days).

Usual disclaimers apply. Don’t blame me if head explodes, etc.

allthegear
    Free Member

I somehow doubt you mean “proscribed”…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Co-codamol and Nurofen ExPress – can I take together?’ is closed to new replies.