Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • C'mon then who's in the know fashion wise. Shirt/tie content.
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

So as this place is a hotbed of style and fashion I thought id ask here first. We’ve got a reet flash celeb type wedding to go to in six weeks, I’m going to try and distance myself from my usual builder look and hopefully end up looking half decent. Suit is bought, light grey, fitted affair but what’s the latest take on shirts/ties? Presuming long sleeved as personally I hate to see a jacket without shirt cuffs beneath. Colours/ patterns/ plain etc etc!!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

As it’s Summer, a short sleeved is acceptable. Preferably mint green, with a dark green tie. Keep it tucked in all day though.

Stoner
    Free Member

Presuming long sleeved

If you need to ask…..

😉

I like http://www.ctshirts.co.uk styles because Im a scruffy oik and prefer button down collars*, button cuffs* (I bloody HATE double cuffs & cufflinks) and lightweight* non iron shirts* are more practical to cycle in.

* is struck off CFH’s Xmas card list.

donsimon
    Free Member

White shirt with blue tie.

Stoner
    Free Member

^ Barrow boy.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Or a blue shirt with a white tie.

Jerome
    Free Member

Unless you want to spend big money I have always been impressed with Hawes and curtis shirts. Key thing is to go for the tailored cut assuming you are not too fat. Oh and these are cut smartly, but not like crazy Italian tight. Not all the colours are in the tailored cut. Classic smart would see you in a single colour or very faint strip. http://www.hawesandcurtis.com/mens-formal-shirts-warwick-tailored-fit_55.html

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Do you REALLY want to know about ‘fashion’?

Surely it would be more prudent to ask about style?

wrightyson
    Free Member

To be fair I’m pretty much on the ball with everyday clothes but as I don’t wear suits that often I thought I’d ask!! And it’s a bloody fashion designers wedding!!

NJA

Light blue oxford shirt dark blue tie.

palmer77
    Free Member

I like TM Lewin. Why not go for one of the John Francombe fitted shirts.

randomjeremy
    Free Member

Grey suit? White shirt, red tie, black shoes.

timc
    Free Member

fitted / slim fit moderns tyled white shirt.

Coloured Tie (Navy / Dark Red) plain or subtle pattern.

This approach will mean you can dig them out in years to come & still look sharp!

+ no cheap crap

patcho68
    Free Member

For a wedding, has to be long sleeved white shirt. Choice of tie then pretty much up to you, you can’t go wrong as long as you avoid:
    Ones with cartoon characters on
    Ones with piano notes on
    Or its made of leather

For extra brownie points, ask the Misssus what colour frock she’s wearing, and get similar tie. Trust me, it’ll be worth it.

timc
    Free Member

sorry yes, deffo long sleeved

Cougar

Can I hijack this for a moment?

How on Earth do you get shirts that fit when they measure the things by collar size?

Years spent on rock club dance floors have left me with a relatively broad neck for my slight frame (Jilly’s Neck Syndrome). The last time I got a shirt (hired for a posh do together with a penguin suit a couple of weeks ago), it had a 15.5″ collar; the rest of the shirt could’ve fitted me in twice over with room to spare.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

How on Earth do you get shirts that fit when they measure the things by collar size?

Go to a shirtmaker that suits your shape.

As to the rest….pffft! 😉

ElShalimo

Cougar – go to TM Lewin or Hawes & Curtis
    they measure your neck, chest & arm length
    they then give you suitable shirts to try on
    you likey – you buy
    you no likey – you no buy

timc
    Free Member

@cougar, sounds like a ‘tailored’ fitting shirt

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Cougar – go to TM Lewin or Hawes & Curtis a proper shirtmaker, not one of those tat-mongers masquerading as a shirtmaker.

FTFY
    😉

FWIW, I wear Roderick Charles, as they fit my rather too broad build.

Drac

What ever you do don’t buy a grey suit.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Going to be interesting to see what others are wearing to be fair. There’s definitely a few “characters” on the guest list!! Cheers for the pointers!!

wrightyson
    Free Member

I was waiting for that one drac!!

SamCooke
    Free Member

Decided which knot you will be wearing for the tie?

brakes
    Free Member

white shirt
    navy tie

yesh mish moneypennysh

wrightyson
    Free Member

Cavendish knot??
    Ya see I went on and googled tie knots.
    How bloody many???

brakes
    Free Member

half windsor

Cougar

Shirtmaker?

I live in Accrington. It’s the place to be if you have an urgent need for a Pound Shop, not so abundant with shirtmakers.

wrightyson
    Free Member

D post.

Cougar

half windsor

Prince Harry?

molgrips
    Free Member

As above – Lewins for me, Capt’s tip was too expensive for me 🙂 The non iron ones have been amazing because the fabric is so nice.

brakes
    Free Member

Prince Harry?

rj
    Free Member

If you already have a grey suit you want a fitted, white shirt with a cut away or round collar. A narrow tie in grey or navy would be appropriate. If you can lay hands on an Alexander McQueen skull tie then you may escape the worst of the “characters” derision.

MrSmith
    Free Member

doesn’t matter what shirt and tie you wear if your shoes are crap 😆
    if the shoes are wrong the rest is a waste of time.

if i was wearing a grey suit i would wear brown smart brogues/oxfords (shock-horror 😯 ) a pistachio/pale green/pale blue shirt and some colorful missoni type tie but with red/orange/rust/brown in it.

if i had to go the black shoe look then white shirt and whatever tie you fancy but not a phat estate agent one or a comedy one but a decent one that’s width matches your frame, no skinny tie on a biffer, no landing strip on a racing snake.

and get a fitted shirt, nothing worse than a baggy shirt tucked in. whoever said short sleeves is o.k. is having a laugh.

SamCooke
    Free Member

Cutaway colalar and narrow tie? With a cuataway, you want a nice fat knot. Maybe a windsor, but of course James Bond doesn’t trust anyone wearing a windsor, somconsider a dimpled half-windsor or maybe a Pratt.if you’ve gone cutaway, the avoid the four -in- hand

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘C'mon then who's in the know fashion wise. Shirt/tie content.’ is closed to new replies.