Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • C'mon then, own up. It's your time you're wasting….
  • boblo
    Free Member
    redthunder
    Free Member

A photo-fit has been released…

MussEd
    Free Member

Cyclist? More like a ned on a stolen bike.

allthepies
    Free Member

Do bombers qualify as a sharp implement ?

Three_Fish
    Free Member

I don't understand why the BBC has to specifically refer to the person as a cyclist. The report clearly states that the motive for the attack is unknown, so why does the report presume that that the guy's mode of transport is in some way related to it. It's an absolute non-event – not even worthy or reporting – which requires prejudicial filler to pad it out enough to make the story longer than the headline. The motivation for some 'news' reports just baffles me at times…

Nick

person riding a bicycle = cyclist

so they could have said, 'a man riding a bicycle' or 'a cyclist', either is fine, but the latter is more concise and elegant

flippinheckler
    Free Member

I don't understand why the BBC has to specifically refer to the person as a cyclist

I don't think its personal!

Three_Fish
    Free Member

person riding a bicycle = cyclist

You don't need to try to patronise me, Nick; I understand the term. What I don't understand is the point of the article and the emphasis on the minor fact that the person who committed the attack was using a bicycle as his mode of transport. Other than it being the attacker's mode of trasport, the bicycle bears no relation to the incident. It wasn't used as a weapon and there is no indication that it is believed to be in any way related to the motive or cause. The bicycle is, it would appear, irrelevant to the incident; and yet the whole article revolves around it.

Concise and elegant are two of the least appropriate words that one could use to describe that article.

Rickos
    Free Member

I'd have thought the police might find the fact he was on a bike quite important, so surely the story should report that he was on a bike just in case there are any witnesses out there that may have seen a 'ned on a stolen bike'.

Stop getting your knickers in a twist just because you're a proper 'cyclist'.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

I'd have thought the police might find the fact he was on a bike quite important…

It was apparently so important that the emphasis shifted so far away from identifying the perpetrator that they don't even mention his appearance, build, height or the color/style of his clothes; you know, the things that might help identify him when he isn't riding a bike.

coogan
    Free Member

white with a local accent, wearing a tracksuit, a scarf and a hat

That seems like a mention to me. Jeez, calm yourself.

Rickos
    Free Member

Three_Fish
    Free Member

That seems like a mention to me.

I meant to say that they barely make reference to it. Looks like my composition skills are not entirely dissimilar to whoever wrote the original article.

I don't know where you get the impression from that I'm not calm. Does disagreement in something have to indicate aggression? Perhaps it's just the tone in which you read?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘C'mon then, own up. It's your time you're wasting….’ is closed to new replies.