Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • clutch rear mech?
  • crush83
    Free Member

Hay guys,

Anyone got or used one of these clutched rear mechs?

I searched clutch on crc and couldn’t find any.

timmys

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=69279

That’s the only one you’re going to find at the mo. Cheaper Shimano (XT and SLX + Saint and Zee) and SRAM are announced but not on sale yet.

njee20
    Free Member

They’re called Shadow Plus (Shimano) or Type 2 (SRAM) not clutch mechs.

Be really interested to know if you could go without a chainguide on 1×10 with one.

Northwind

Waiting for the SLX or maybe XT ones to come out myself but they’re still a while out. XTR is great, no doubt but too pricey for me, for something I’ll inevitably bash off a rock.

crush83
    Free Member

Ya one of my mates said wait for the slx

Popocatapetl

I’ve got the new Shimano M985 on my Remedy. It’s very effective and works better than the Heim 3 chain device that i currently run on my Trek Fuel Ex. The only downside to it is remembering to engage the clutch before you start riding! Just a shame they cost so much (£165 for mine from a LBS). Hopefully it will be cheaper on next years XT???

transapp
    Free Member

JUst out of interst, why do you turn it ‘off’ when you stop? I would have though it would be an ‘on’ all the time type thing

nuke

Sounds like they need to do a version with a remote lever…I for one would welcome yet another lever on my bars 😉

Popocatapetl

I turn it off to take the rear wheel out to put the bike in the back of the car. The wheel goes back on when i get home so i can hose it down, then bike gets wiped down and hung up. Always forget to re-engage the clutch before i head out again. I engaged the clutch at the start of todays ride (for the first time!) and i find the shifting is only slightly stiffer than normal.

glacier79
    Free Member

I paid £125 for mine and went 1×10 without a chain guide and haven’t lost the chain once. I turn mine off when i’m not riding under the illusion it reduces load on the clutchy thing.

the_lecht_rocks

Loving my m985 xtr on my 3×10 29er….
    Tight and spookily quiet… Never dropped the chain yet and no need for a stay protector.
    Disadvantage is the shifting is less snappy and more vague (m985 xtr shifters to match)…

barbs
    Free Member

The new xt and slx versions are up on the Madison website at £80 and £65 (I think that was right) but not sure when they will be available.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Got the XTR version on my Rocky, running a triple up front and not dropped a chain yet.

nikk
    Free Member

Mine drops the chain too much, especially somewhere like GT. Not really that impressed with it.

ratherbeintobago

As an aside, does Shadow Plus make any difference to chainsuck?

Andy

irishdave
    Free Member

XT now at cycle store in congleton

rob-jackson
    Free Member

when is the slx out?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

It’s on sale at winstanleys and a few other places, easiest way to find it was google shopping the shimano code rd-m675

PaulD
    Free Member

They have the XT at Mountain Trax in Wokingham.

Saw one last week on the workstand and checked it out…looks good.

A rider I see at Swinley has an XTR since last autumn and is fantastically impressed.

PaulD

hughjayteens
    Free Member

I fitted an XTR one recently on my ML8 as the BB mounted front mech and lack of ISCG mounts means I can’t fit a chain device. Running 2×10 and it’s fantastic. Very quiet with almost zero chain slap. Had a couple of sessions at Aston Hill where it can be quite bump and it did what it says on the tin!

Proper test in Chamonix at the weekend so will report back.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘clutch rear mech?’ is closed to new replies.