Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Clumber Park off-piste?
  • mmaddra
    Free Member

Morning all. I know what you’re going to say here – get yourself to Sherwood pines, or over to the Peaks… For a cheeky blast though (grown up responsibilities limiting youthful leisure time, etc), Clumber Park is only 20 minutes drive for me (40 to Pines, 1.30 to Peaks) and a search brings up comments like ‘there’s a few trails through the forest at Clumber Park you can link up’ (Dawson, if you’re still out there mate, you posted similar on this forum a few years back). Just looking for pointers to a bit of twisty singletrack tree-dodging at Clumber (so not the main round the lake ‘official’ route I do with the kids), preferably on the A614 side cos I come from Retford direction, over the newish flyover then left at the roundabout towards the Clumber Park Hotel/Ollerton/Pines. Any tips on where’s best to park for dropping onto/finding said routes would also be much appreciated. Cheers

tall_martin

Ride with the Nottingham outlaws- you can find them on face book.

The ride round there loads on a tues and Thurs evening

Be prepared for some sweary banter of you do

lerk
    Free Member

I can ride to clumber from my house without touching a road, but I wouldn’t drive there…

There are a couple of nice trails, but there isn’t really any terrain for mountain biking.

I could let you have a gpx route if you like

slowoldman

Used to do cross country runs on the edge of Clumber from school in Worksop. Well, the other lads used to… I went to my mate’s house for a brew then jogged back at the end.

dawson

Hello, yes, Clumber is my local patch, there isn’t anything spectacular, but there is plenty for a couple of hours, and barely see a soul.

Would be happy to show you round some time if you fancy meeting up.

Bit busy this week and coming weekend but the offer is there – email in profile

wadam00
    Free Member

Take the kids to the pines? The green is ok with the kids and you can head off around the red while they play on the kids stuff

andeh

Watching with interest, I’ve bimble around before but I’m getting properly sick of Pines and have some new CX tyres to try out.

GPX anyone?

rickk

mmadra, dawson – could I please invite myself on your guided tour?
    Based in Woodsetts and would like to see some of the off piste in the park – thanks
    Rick

rone

Clumber is great. On my doorstep.

There is plenty of decent single track and b/ws. You can head out west through welbeck which is a nice drop down through the estate. Or you can go east to Crookford for a big loop.

Plenty in the park especially the North side and near the a1/a57. Nothing knarly but quieter and bigger than pines.

I could be up for a tour if anyone wants one as long as you fancy brisk xc sort of ride.

There’s some nice offpiste just at near the main entrance near the bridge on the way in.

lerk
    Free Member

That’s about the best bit in there imo!

Unfortunately there’s then not really any interesting g way back to the top again.

chiefgrooveguru

There are definitely some hills in the woods in the adjoining Welbeck estate – I remember running up and down the bloody things during 6th form… Gamekeepers may not be terribly pro MTB though!

mmaddra
    Free Member

Many thanks for your replies. Definitely up for the guided tour with those of you in the know (and by the look of it, others like me who’d like to know). Dawson, ‘a couple of hours without seeing a soul’ sounds like two-wheeled therapy. Up for that and thanks for the offer, just need to check the calendar for ‘already doing something’ commitments (are you free one of the days next weekend?) Rone, how brisk is brisk? 50+ and counting, so not as brisk as my good old days of blasting the full Ladybower with plenty left over. Lerk, GPX would be appreciated. Tall_martin (I’m a short_martin), isn’t sweary banter a legal requirement on rides out? Wadam00, yeeeees, but the kids are still too young to be let off the leash, AND my rides out are MY rides out. Me, me, me! I know… but (gawd love the wee rascals) it’s good (and needed in the name of sanity) to have some ‘off duty’ time doing my own thing. Andeh, that’s the other thing – Pines is good for a scoot, but gets a bit ‘same old’ after a while, eh? I’ve just swapped out my first ‘big’ tyres for my go-to CX tyres on my new-to-me Heckler. I know, a Heckler on old school skinny 2.1 Panaracer Fire XCs seems like a numpty thing to do, but the beefy Schwalbes felt like I was towing a trailer and killed what’s a sweet bike (and me). Way livelier now (the bike, anyway). Cheers, and look forward to hearing back.

dawson

Social ride this Saturday 1.30pm for a couple of hours – just a steady explore.

My email is in profile if folks are interested

Andeh – YGM
    Rickk – no email address on your profile

rone

Rone, how brisk is brisk? 50+ and counting, so not as brisk as my good old days of blasting the full Ladybower with plenty left over

Nothing ego trippy, just meant getting on with it rather than waiting. I used to lead SPCC rides and run the club, so look after people. 🙂

benman
    Free Member

I’ve not been over that way for a while, but most of it used to be on Strava. The best trail i found was the one which popped you out by the bridge.

Much better cheeky stuff at pines, and in the woods down towards Blidworth, Burnt stump and Calverton.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Clumber Park off-piste?’ is closed to new replies.