Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 94 total)
  • club politics when it gets personal – UPDATE
  • tomhoward

Well? howd it go?

Candodavid
    Free Member

Club, pah no thanks, a collective is far better, a group of like minded souls who have a similar train of thought into what they want to do.
    Be it pixie trail work, random days out or long weeks away, no hidden agendas, just mates riding bikes for a laugh.

Jamie
    Free Member

Well? howd it go?

They’re all with Jesus now 🙁

wwaswas

They’re all with Jesus now

The trouble maker was a Mexican?

retrogirl
    Free Member

I do have an update – About 60 people turned up for this which was a great turn out and from the start you could see he wanted to turn it into a fight. However we were prepared and our secretary made a good job of keeping things under control. The trouble maker came across from the start as obnoxious and with a grudge and each candidate was given 2 mins to say their piece to which my husband went slightly over and i could see the other was timing him and because of that demanded more time and started to say negative things about the club as to that we weren’t doing our jobs properly etc etc. He went on about an incident from 3 years ago which he twisted but club members in the room put him in his place and basically told him that.
    The upshot was when it came to the vote which was a show of hands everyone bar one in the room voted for my husband. So we were pleased and feel great that we have the support of the club. I know it sounds corny but we have promoted this club as a group of friends and invite everyone to contribute and we have many people who arent on the committee that do that.
    I do feel that we haven’t seen the last of him but hopefully he will look back on his behaviour and make changes but I doubt it. In all it was a very happy outcome. 😀

Stoner
    Free Member

can you not now propose a motion banning him from the club as being a negative influence. Maybe with a qualified majority of 75%?

Stiggy

Great result.

boltonjon

59 to 60 – that’s a real vote of confidence

He’d be a proper numpty to keep pushing his agenda after such an epic defeat

good work!

crankboy
    Free Member

Congratulations glad it all worked out for you. I would seriously suggest you invite him to move on I have a former friend who behaves in a similer way to him you would not believe the amount of time she devotes to feeling wronged or the extent to which she will go to right those perceived injustices. Best rid either by agreement or imposition.

binners

Democracy triumphs!!!!!! 😀

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOOTKA0aGI0[/video]

D0NK

I just have issues with anything that takes a fun, spontaneous, joyful thing and starts straight-jacketing it with rules, and telling you what you are and aren’t allowed to do.

clubs aren’t really my thing either, I like the idea but have never been a club member, probably coz I’m an antisocial bugger. For starters I don’t think they are about what you can and can’t do, are there really a lot of rules? Club insurance presumably has a few limitations on what happens on club rides but otherwise what…?
    A small group of friends is possibly more fun but most mtbers I know are proper slackers with families and commitments so arranging rides can be a pita and unless the weather is perfect there’s often things getting in the way. With clubs you know there will be a ride when it’s timetabled, there will be other people there with you and there’s probably a lot more riding opportunities – surely no bad thing. It’s just occasionally you have to put up with an idiot like the OP is talking about. But I accept not everyone’s cup of tea

martinhutch

On a similar theme, expect the Judean People’s Outdoor Club to be formed soon!

wwaswas

Glad to hear that you got the support from your friends and as above, that the bloke reflects on what’s happened and either goes elsewhere or modifies his behaviour.

llama

This sounds achingly familiar to other clubs the llama’s are involved with. I think that some people are just born manipulative and disruptive, or else too selfish to see beyond their own self interests. It’s even worse when it’s for kids as on top of that they block out their own life failures through some incorrect assumption that little Johnny is the next Olympic star in the making.

It won’t be the last you have heard of this.

Still I bet the look on his face was priceless at the vote.

binners

I can see why clubs were a sort of a necessary evil in the past. And why you’d tolerate the negatives (idiots like the OP describes) when they were the only way of doing things, to enjoy the negatives various (less cynical and anti-social) people have mentioned.

But hasn’t the joys of the inter web made the whole thing pretty much redundant? In an age when you can set up your own notice-board, webpage, group etc. Or you could just post a thread on here saying ‘who’s riding tonight then?’. One of the best things of last year for me was this…

I had some brilliant rides, on great new routes, with some lovely like-minded people. Its all, like SOOOOOOOO last year now, obviously. And it all came about because Harry the Spider’s darling wife changed her Acid Zumba night

But when I look at that, with its casual chaotic spontaneity (and inevitable fun), compared to the OP’s update above…. people given 2 minute time-slots to talk about something that happened 3 years ago? Then everyone votes on it? Seriously? I’m sorry, but really… why bother? When there are far less hassle alternatives so readily available? It sounds like something that would go on prior to the first world war. Life really is too short for that kind of thing.

RustySpanner

We’re in a climbing club.

Yep, we have 4 or 5 long standing members who hate anyone younger than them and an AGM which makes me lose the will to live, but the good things make up for it:

Meets every week, friendly, helpful people and a club hut in the most beautiful place in Britain.

We’ve got 50 people for a Burns night/whisky tasting do at the end of the month – I really love our club and lots of people work really hard to keep it going.

Well done OP, glad it went well.

binners

Which reminds me….. Rusty…. do you fancy hosting a Monday Night Club and showing us around your local trails?

llama

For lots of sports if you want to compete then you need to be in a club so it is a necessary evil.

binners

llama – That’s an interesting point. A genuine question here to the people who’ve obviously got experience of these matter… does that really need to be the case? As I can’t see why it should be in this day and age, at all. Surely technology and easy networking, and online entries, for example, have rendered this whole approach somewhat redundant?

I’m obviously a jaded bugger, but when I read that, my cynical side thinks: is the reason for that, that the people who run the clubs genuinely want the best for the sport and its participants? If so, thats admirable.

Or is it that the whole ‘you have to be in a club to compete’ thing just another pointless piece of bureaucracy that they can use as a justification for maintaining their own little personal fiefdoms? Or can’t deal with the fact that they’re unceasingly irrelevant – a feeling most of us are familiar with, I’m sure 😉

Or, like most things, is it a combination of the 2?

I’m not trolling here. I’m genuinely interested in peoples thoughts on this, who have direct experience of official clubs

wwaswas

It’s probably to keep the riff-raff out binners.

Or, that local clubs will police their members and that beign a member of a club means that you have a reasonable degree of competency (or at least aren;t dangerous to others). Club membership often conveys membership of a national body and grants a licence ans insurance to the participant too.

RustySpanner

Binners, will do!

Sue’s not been too chipper lately – give us a month or so to get a little fitness back and I’ll put the call out.

Nice pub round the corner too.

llama

Yes it is pointless bureaucracy from another age before they had internet and everything, but nevertheless, you can’t enter competitions unless you do so through a club.

IME most people genuinely do want the best for the members. It’s the occasional individual who seem to always want to stir things up.

stever
    Free Member

Unexepectedly I find myself on my club’s ‘committee’. I try to continue to behave like the arse I’ve always been. Fortunately we’re short on proper arse types. We have a big pile of fish and chips with our AGM. Nobody can talk with their mouth full, nobody likes cold chips.

edlong
    Free Member

can you not now propose a motion banning him from the club as being a negative influence. Maybe with a qualified majority of 75%?

Whoa there! Why would you do this? From what’s presented, the guy’s not broken any of the club rules (except maybe for talking three minutes instead of two…). You start kicking people out because their “face doesn’t fit” and you end up with a clique. Having a dissenting view is not a reason for exclusion imo

Harry_the_Spider

But hasn’t the joys of the inter web made the whole thing pretty much redundant? In an age when you can set up your own notice-board, webpage, group etc. Or you could just post a thread on here saying ‘who’s riding tonight then?’. One of the best things of last year for me was this…

I have news for you old fruit… Due to your continued nonattendance we had a vote and have officially declared that you were a hallucination brought about by inhaling the noxious fumes of whatever it is that they use to swill out the khazi in The Church Inn.

You don’t exist. Sorry.

Will start up Monday nights again once Terra has won The ‘Puffer (again) and it has stopped pissing it down.

D0NK

It’s probably to keep the riff-raff out binners.

I think I can see the point of this in roadracing no doubt rank amateurs are a complete liability in a peleton, can’t see the problem in mtb, no idea how this affects other sports. SO the question remains why are comps still club only?

Will start up Monday nights again once Terra has won The ‘Puffer (again) and it has stopped pissing it down

see binners you wouldn’t have this problem with a proper club

binners

OI! I resemble the accusations of my non-existence. Admittedly I can appear almost ethereal at times, like other mythical creatures that inhabit the woods of an evening…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Club membership is really cheep though, regardless of the other issues it’s £18 for a year at our road club, pays for insurance, some sort of BC registration (no idea what, there’s a £9 option if you didn’t want it), magazine every so often, and probably some other stuff.

Comapared to £30 for just a magazine from Singletrack it’s a bargain.

edlong
    Free Member

Or is it that the whole ‘you have to be in a club to compete’ thing just another pointless piece of bureaucracy that they can use as a justification for maintaining their own little personal fiefdoms?

More likely related to insurance?

D0NK

More likely related to insurance?

is that true? Would it not be possible for privateers to pay £X on top of their entry fee to cover it? Or just get their own insurance?

Club membership is really cheep though

I may be reading that wrong but are you suggesting pay club fees, never actually see another club member and still race under the club name and insurance? in which case it’s seems like a pointless hoop to jump through, would private insurance not suffice? As above I can see the point of club training, showing the club you can handle yourself then the club OK you to race but if it’s just pay your fee and race your heart out then it’s bureaucratic hoop jumping.

just interested in how/why this works

BigDummy
    Free Member

6 years ago I started riding on the road. I didn’t know anyone else local who wanted to do that, and I didn’t have much fun by myself. I joined a road club, and spent 2 happy years busting a gut every Sunday morning to make sure I was at the appointed place at the appointed hour for a long, sociable and varied ride with some splendidly skilled and encouraging riders, several of whom I was entirely happy to have a beer with (others one simply chatted gently along with on the ride).

3 years ago I turned up in a new city by myself. I knew a few people slightly from the internets and from very casual acquaintance at races. My mountain biking has mostly been done through very welcoming networks of mates which borderline qualify as clubs. My road riding has been with a club, which is an enormous reservoir of enthusiasm and goodwill, and promotes a major road race that would otherwise probably not happen.

An extended network of mates on the internet is a relatively hard thing to break into. A club says “we meet at this time, please come with us” – a standing invitation to all comers to join a ride is a very welcome thing if you’re in a new place by yourself, or trying a new thing by yourself.

🙂

kilo

Re club membership to race, iirc, in England and Wales this only applies to tt ing under ctt, you can road, track, cyclo cross and tt under British cycling without joining a club

In a lot of sports, including cycling, most events are still put on by local clubs.

You don’t have to be in a club to compete, but if there weren’t any clubs, there wouldn’t be anything to compete in.

toppers3933
    Free Member

This bloke sounds like a reet bellend. If he was in my club he’d be receiving a letter in the post with a refund if his membership fee explaining that he is not a good influence on the friendly ethos of the club and that he can either change his attitude and be welcome at the club or cash the cheque and piss off out of it.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Besides, we have a website, kit, events and everything. We are clearly serious

We have something similar which began as a web forum for local MTBers who identified each other from places like here. A few very active members keep things ticking over with mid-week local night rides and the odd weekend ride. Someone mooted having a club/team jersey, someone knocked up a spiffing design, and a load of us bought them. A gang went and did the Passeport, and we fielded about 20 riders at the last Bristol Bikefest.

No formal membership, no subs, no affiliation, no committee, no politics, just a bunch of like-minded riders and a hint of being organised.

T’other half was one of the founding members of a local club for a different sport a couple of years ago and that is riven with politics-she resigned her place on the committee as who needs conflict in what is supposed to be a relaxing pastime?

TiRed

You can race BC events “unattached”, i.e. you aren’t a member of a club, but still require a license (for insurance). Dem is de rules. License can be a day license or an annual Race license. If you are a member, then BC rules require that you wear club kit (jersey). In practice, this serves to identify who to avoid in the peloton 😉 . You can just turn up on the day and race if you want – as per a mtb race (if you can get a space), but you will be restricted to which category you can enter – Cat 4 for a novice. You can’t just sign up for an Elite race.

Most of those BC events have a link to a club of some form. Imperial Racing are sponsoring the Winter Series I’m racing at the moment. Twickenham sponsor the Masters racing in the summer… To affiliate to a racing league, clubs are required to sponsor a race (to keep the league going). This of course needs volunteers. Were do you get volunteers? A club, of course 🙂

No two clubs are the same, but most road clubs are now pretty sociable places that accomodate beginners (and there are a lot of beginners!). If you find a club that isn’t, choose another.

D0NK

You can just turn up on the day and race if you want – as per a mtb race (if you can get a space), but you will be restricted to which category you can enter – Cat 4 for a novice. You can’t just sign up for an Elite race

fair enough. Again just wondering, would it be possible to start racing unaffiliated and work your way up to elite or could you win 200 cat 4 races and still not be allowed to move up without a club backing you?

Seems a bit harsh if you can’t but then clubs do seem to do a lot of good work, putting on events/races etc, so maybe this sort of thing is fair, keeping clubs going.

Cougar

Back when I used to be in an archery club,

You were able to compete in formal competition without being a member of a club. Entrants would have “independent” next to their name rather than a club moniker. Shoots would typically have one or two independents entering; it happened but it was comparatively rare.

What was mandatory was insurance. This wasn’t a large amount of money – like £3 / year compared to club fees which were maybe £10 – £15 (and included insurance).

mrmo
    Free Member

fair enough. Again just wondering, would it be possible to start racing unaffiliated and work your way up to elite or could you win 200 cat 4 races and still not be allowed to move up without a club backing you?

You can race you can get points but you would have to join british cycling and take out a licence, can’t avoid that bit. Joining a club does help in that you learn how to ride wheels and how to behave in a bunch.

As an aside, think about who organises races, you can go the Sportive route and pay through the nose or rely on the clubs to organise things. I suspect this is one of the reasons why there are so few MTB events that are sensibly priced.

pjt201
    Free Member

@clubber

Hmm, I find the club you talk of to be entirely unfriendly and the committee (all two of them who have access to the club group email) to be entirely self serving. Also the kit is gopping 😉 nah, not really!

I’m in the same boat as big dummy above, almost literally. Although I find myself less inclined to ride with the road club as the size increases and the discipline decreases – have been taken out a few too many times, maybe I just need to push myself to ride with the fast group…

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 94 total)

The topic ‘club politics when it gets personal – UPDATE’ is closed to new replies.