Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Clown wheels – Advice
  • almightydutch
    Free Member

Building up a 2010 29er Stumpy for a mate and stuck on what wheels to get. While the Hope/Flow combo is very popular, he doesn’t really want rims without eyelets as he views it as a weak point and doesn’t want to be buying another set in 3/4 years time.

So, what rims should we look for?

nemesis
    Free Member

While I agree that eyelets are ‘better’ in theory, it’s silly to limit choices based on that criteria if it’s not a real world issue. I’ve had plenty of Mavic rims that had eyelets crack at the spoke holes still.

Flows seem to last well so that’s what I’d base the decision on…

Besides, three or four years use from a rim that’s designed to for abuse doesn’t seem awful anyway – plus it’d only be the cost of rims + rebuild.

FWIW, obviously not unbiased but:

Why don’t you use eyelets in building your rims?
    Single eyeleted rims serve primarily as a means to reduce the lubrication needed between the spoke nipple and rim interface for automated wheel building equipment. In the case of a hand built wheel where each nipple can be properly lubricated, single eyelets don’t present much of a benefit and actually require larger holes in the rim structure.

http://www.notubes.com/help/frequentlyaskedquestions.aspx

letmetalktomark

I have to admit to being a little skeptical about “non eyelitted” Stans rims but I have run Flows for years without any issue and I usually sit in the 90kg+ bracket.

rickon
    Free Member

Clown Wheels

You mean 26″ wheels? They’ll ride horrible on a 29er frame.

rickon
    Free Member

What type of riding is your friend going to be doing?

I’ve been running Stans rims for about 4 or 5 years (probably more than 10 pairs), and only once had a problem with the eyelets – and that was due to over tensioning them.

chestrockwell

Hope on Hope? That’s what I’ll be getting next.

Hope on Mavic have never caused me any problems.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Clown wheels – Advice’ is closed to new replies.