Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 80 total)
  • 'Clouds of Dust' – the TBC/STW Pentlands Wednesday Wheeled Ramble
  • kennyp
    Free Member

I dunno, not that much of a fan of Scalextrix really, I'd rather do Maiden's as a descent then slog up phantom's and then use the path down the side of puke hill. Longer though.

Rather than go down Puke Hill, why not head over to White Hill and go down any one of a number of great descents there, both in the wood (the youth-made ones) and one the grass in front of the hill.

jimmy

Was just about to suggest (demand) White Hill for tomorrow's ride.

Please.

robgarrioch

Clouds of Dust Midges

ShoePolice – plug this grid ref into Where's the path? or Multimap – NT 213 682. It's on the corner of Bonaly Road / Bonaly Avenue.

Hoping to be along – depends a bit on work issues + residual pain from a bizarre thigh / top-tube interface-on-dismount rad move this evening… If not there @ 7 please blast on.

Stanfree / Paul – you can grab that rack if you want to try it – if I don't make the ride I'm just 2 mins from Bonaly shop so call 0seven76sixfive5 3fivetwo0 when you get back down & I'll magically appear (almost) instantly!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

trouble with going down one of the white hill / puke hill varients is that you end up losing a load of height back to the river on tarmac down from the car park. Must be more singletrack from there down to somewhere on the river?

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Push/grunt up the path on the right before the gate. Then down through the woods, under the bypass and more woods down the side of the barracks.

Kit
    Free Member

I'm working my final day EVER* tomorrow and then having a big piss-up, so won't be out as per usual. Have fun 🙂

*until next year when I've run out of money.

kennyp
    Free Member

trouble with going down one of the white hill / puke hill varients is that you end up losing a load of height back to the river on tarmac down from the car park. Must be more singletrack from there down to somewhere on the river?

There is (assuming you mean the car park at the foot of Puke Hill). There's a tasty wee piece of singletrack through the trees on your left hand side (opposite the Scout camp).

Losing the height isn't a problem for me as I live in Bonaly, so that bit is usually the end of my run.

Alternatively, from the car park there is the track that leads off to Torduff, or the other one that leads round the back of the Scout camp and down towards the Polo Field, or continues on to the foot of the Dreghorn climb, or even on from there towards Hillend.

kennyp
    Free Member

Just re-read that, and realised that by river you mean the Water of Leith. There's no singletrack I know of, though as I said, not an issue for me because of where I live.

13thfloormonk

Pah, some of the best singletrack in the pentlands resides in the woods en route back to the city from the foot of white hill.

I reckon you could make it all the way to Morningside almost entirely off road. Would be glad to lead that particular portion of the ride if I make it along.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

stevenmenmuir

aye – thats the only way I could think of.

I just find it vaguely irksome to descend on tarmac rather than singletrack

jimmy

Ian – were you on about swapping books with Kate? Know which ones? She might be along running so could bring some.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I think Rob mentioned that there is a little bit of singletrack from Dreghorn services, you can see the start of it next to the roundabout. Dunno how long it is mind.

13thfloormonk

I was, in particular one of three books I don't currently have in my possession, d'oh!

I think it was "mountain days, bothy nights" and "children of the dead end" or perhaps "the testament of gideon mack". Was it Kate or your father who had written a book about his hillwalking days?

Steven, there are two short but very sweet sections of trail in that area, and a short hop along Caeystane Road brings you to the top of some more trail that eventually deposits you in the Hermitage above Morningside.

Northwind

"Rather than go down Puke Hill, why not head over to White Hill and go down any one of a number of great descents there, both in the wood (the youth-made ones) and one the grass in front of the hill."

I don't know how to get into the top of the DH trail from that way, is there a good route? I always just descent Puke Hill, go round the side of the woods (past the end of Scalextric) then back across the other side of the woods and then push up for the nibbler

kennyp
    Free Member

I don't know how to get into the top of the DH trail from that way

If you were coming from Phantoms, instead of going through the gate at the top of Puke Hill, keep going, stay left where the track forks and you'll end up at a big gate. Go through and you are on the main descent to Dreghorn. Instead of this though, follow a very faint path on the left, close to the wall. It goes down, climbs a bit and leads you to a stile by the woods on White Hill.

Over the stile and there are umpteen variations of descents, all excellent. Grass ones can be very slippy in the wet though, and there's one very steep gully I've never had the guts to ride.

Northwind

Ah, sounds great, cheers! That's out at the edge of my usual loop so I've never explored in that direction.

coastkid
    Free Member

stevenmenmuir – Member

I think Rob mentioned that there is a little bit of singletrack from Dreghorn services, you can see the start of it next to the roundabout. Dunno how long it is mind.

here where you been hiding? 😮

Rob i should remmember how to get to yours from last week if paul wants that rack,
    sorry for late post…was on a date tonight….jeezus the tide wouldnt have taken her out 😯
    tomorrow night will be a recovery ride for me 😆

robgarrioch

jeezus the tide wouldnt have taken her out

😆

Now have a 'Jaws 2' mental image that'll last all day…

ojom
    Free Member

Elegantly put Bruce. 😆

stanfree
    Free Member

Ha ha brilliant Bruce , Aye Rob still interested In the rack , If It fits I can paypal you some cash or give It to Bruce as Ill miss next weeks ride.

Thanks

Paul.

chriswilk
    Free Member

I won't make it this week (as always). It's just the wrong time for me. Sometime I'll arrange an early start ride, at 4 or 5 for those who finish work at a reasonable time. Anyway, I think a group of 20 or so is too big for the Pentlands.
    An aside – Mark – do you have the Topeak Mountain Morph pump in stock?

ojom
    Free Member

Chris – not at moment. Want me to get you one?

chriswilk
    Free Member

Mark, I want to see how the presta/schrader change is done. This is my only concern so I'm 95% sure it's the pump I want.

ojom
    Free Member

well you unscrew the ring and then flip the rubber bits over and BOSH done.

chriswilk
    Free Member

Ok,

Get one in for me and let me know when it arrives.

jimmy

Was it Kate or your father who had written a book about his hillwalking days?

Errmmm…. What was she telling you?!

jimmy

Favour to ask – does anyone going on the ride have a bivvy bag (or 2) they'd be prepared to lend for the weekend?

Ta

househusband

…does anyone going on the ride have a bivvy bag (or 2) they'd be prepared to lend…

If it's for you and Kit to snuggle up in surely you'd be wanting just the one..?

coastkid
    Free Member

i have an Alpkit bag unused you can borrow Jimmy,bring it up tonight 😮

robgarrioch

Fine wee ride tonight chaps, still good to get social when sticking to the harder wearing trails. I hope others pics are decent, mine being pretty poor bl00dy awful this time, think I got my settings mixed up – most too blurred to put up…

(full sizes here)

Funny how different Green Cleugh is going down… I almost gave Bruce a fine view of a proper face-plant. Damn wide tyres 😈

stanfree
    Free Member

Yup nice wee ride . Green Cleugh was different , Phantoms was a slog and Scalextric a blast. Sadly there getting shorter due to fading light.
    I'll let you know about the carrier Rob , hopefully It works and I can start repaying Bruce's taxi service soon. See you all In 3 weeks.

coastkid
    Free Member

good cardio work out tonight chaps 😮 thanks again,as always a new trail thrown into the evenings ride…even though you got it sideways a bit rob 😮 my elbows got a big lump now too..Mmmm time for a quick cider,see you all next week 😮
    some pics…

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

As always, a very enjoyable ride.

Cheers

househusband

Thanks all; great ride, great company – and a good pace!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Grand day out ta chaps even if a bit much tarmac

coastkid
    Free Member

can always get in some wheelie pratice on the roadie bits! 😮

epicsteve
    Free Member

Over the stile and there are umpteen variations of descents, all excellent. Grass ones can be very slippy in the wet though, and there's one very steep gully I've never had the guts to ride.

I went looking for these trails on Saturday and find what I'm pretty sure is the right stile having followed the slight trail down the side of the wall. Over the stile I wasn't sure which route to follow so took the most obvious line round the front of the hill. That was quite steep in a couple of places but not technical in any way so I don't think was one of the trails. There were a couple of other trails leading slightly uphill back into the woods – should I have been following one of those to find the downhill trails?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Steve if you are talking about White Hill, if you go left after the stile into the trees, there are some trails criss-crossing around the hill clockwise that end up at Bonally, very pleasant. The yoof DH type trails are nearby also. I am aware of only one going right, which traverses steeply as you describe.

robgarrioch

should I have been following one of those to find the downhill trails

Nearly there Steve – once over the stile, go 'straight ahead' up a singletrack through the trees, which pops out & runs uphill alongside the plantation. Takes you to the top of the hill, then you'll see the DH bits starting… best to recce on foot first 😉

epicsteve
    Free Member

Cheers – I'll give that a look next time I'm in the vicinity.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 80 total)

The topic ‘'Clouds of Dust' – the TBC/STW Pentlands Wednesday Wheeled Ramble’ is closed to new replies.