Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 80 total)
  • 'Clouds of Dust' – the TBC/STW Pentlands Wednesday Wheeled Ramble
  • ojom
    Free Member

You know the drill.

Mud, TJ, trees, cuddles and fun.

Who is in this week.

I will not be supplying beer on this one on account of being lazy and not organising it… tea is a possibility though should anyone fancy it.

I am hoping Mr Menmuir will attend with Bramble Whisky but he seems to be awol.

Anyway…. ride!!!

jimmy

hmm i have split priorities. Supposed to be doing a Market Research forum thing for a friend… But riding is preferable.

Ooooo I'll keep you guessing (I'm sure it'll generate a couple of seconds worth of chat)

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Is Smee going to be there to create the clouds of dust?

We need some different variations on route.

DougD

Am keen, will be along with plenty of spare tubes

coogan
    Free Member

Maybees. Need an Alps preparation ride so the Pentlands will provide… er… none of that really. :mrgreen:

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Not even the dreghorn climb? You could do it twice. Or 3 times

radoggair
    Free Member

i'll hanker on a potentially

coogan
    Free Member

Climb? Why climb when you can use a van or a chairlift?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Its good for you

13thfloormonk

As usual I will put myself down for a provisional, will be singlespeeding though so might slow the group down on the flat bits.

I might be able to suggest some new trails on the day, depending on group size and vows of silence all round 8)

coogan
    Free Member

So's getting in a van and using a chairlift.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

*high fives getting in a van and using chairlifts next week buddy*

Us men will be playing in real mountains 8)

ojom
    Free Member

*kicks you 2 in the nuts for alps teasing*

coastkid
    Free Member

will be along again with paul (stanfree),
    steven (menmuir) is indeed off radar 😮

ojom
    Free Member

where he be Bruce?

need some gardening help

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

8)

coogan
    Free Member

You could have been there. You made your choice, now live with it. You'll be missing these idiots:

and this:

mieszko
    Free Member

I'll probably be there as well. It's 50% now because I might have to go to Glasgow and don't know whether I'll be back on time.

If I'll make it I can bring some kabanos stuff You tried Mark (don't know whether You liked it or not 😉 ) so others can try it later or at the end of the ride for extra energy.

Weather looks like we will have to bring our own dust to make a cloud…

coastkid
    Free Member

better getting a head greenkeeper in for the garden 😉
    sort your grass out,will give a help if you need it 😮

househusband

+1

epicsteve
    Free Member

Don't know what your route plans are but I was down the Nail Trail last night and it was riding well.

coogan
    Free Member

Am I the only one who call's parts up the pentlands 'the bit after the downy bit, you know, to the left, after that rocky muddy bit, you know, over there-ish…'

epicsteve
    Free Member

There are few trail names I still don't recognise myself. The Nail Trail is also known as the Balerno or Riggs singletrack.

It's looking nice out tonight so I think I'll be paying it a visit again later as it's my favourite Pentlands trail – even better than Scalextric.

coogan
    Free Member

Scalextric I know. Hope it's better if a favorite, that's just straight down double track.

epicsteve
    Free Member

Sounds like you're not going fast enough!

AlasdairMc

The bottom section of Nail Trail is good, but too much riding in all weathers is destroying the top section. I've avoided this part whenever I'm on the bike for the past few months, but I ran down it recently and it's going the way of Pistachio (i.e. churned up mess).

I've formed a splinter cell of colleagues so won't be in attendance tomorrow – Balerno start at around 6 for those who need an early night.

epicsteve
    Free Member

You can avoid the muddy top section of the Nail Trail (although it was ok last night) by taking the longer loop round to the west instead. That rejoins at the plank bridge so still includes the lower section. There are a couple of bits where you need to lift the bike over fences but it's still enjoyable. I think I'll go that way tonight.

I'm expecting to be up there tomorrow night as well but I'm only leaving the office by 6pm so won't be on either group ride.

On the top section there are only really a couple of spots that get cut up and last night I was thinking that it might not take much effort to improve them. I've no experience of trailbuilding/maintenance though.

AlasdairMc

It may only take a bit of work to improve it, but the last time someone tried it they fitted the nailed boards upside down 😀

(according to urban myth)

coogan
    Free Member

Fast or slow, just didn't think it was anything that exciting.

chickenman

Trees, Mark????
    Just back from a 2000 miles drive round Alberta and British Columbia….what was that about trees?
    Infact, if I see another one I'll scream!!!

Northwind

(on the subject of chat on trail repairs, watch this space, I did make good contact with the rangers earlier in the year and took a look at pistachio but then summer happened and I've totally failed to follow it through as yet. But will be soon)

Might just make this one, if I decide my big bike's well enough packed, could do with a warmup ride before heading off to France…

stanfree
    Free Member

I shall be in attendance as will have to miss the following 2 weeks due to crappy shifts. Hope the rain stays off .

ShoePolice
    Free Member

I'm in Edinburgh visiting family. If they have no show booked for me (shudders) I'll try and make it along.

Where do you meet?

stanfree
    Free Member

Bonally shop just down from the scout centre , someone will be along shortly with a postcode of google map ref.

13thfloormonk

(according to urban myth)

Nah, I was there, man… You should have seen it, nails, like, twenty inches long and stuff, it was gnarly.

Surpising no-one I'm sure, but I might have to skip this one after all, riding back from work revealed a suspiciously tender achilles tendon, a fairly epic weekend on the road bike perhaps to blame.

I maintain Scalextric is only exciting on the right bike. Taking 'alpine' bikes up the Pentlands is asking for disappointment 😀

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Zzzzzzzzzzzz….. What? Did somebody mention my name?

Northwind

I dunno, not that much of a fan of Scalextrix really, I'd rather do Maiden's as a descent then slog up phantom's and then use the path down the side of puke hill. Longer though.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Scalextrix is much improved by ragging down alongside someone.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

coogan – Member

Fast or slow, just didn't think it was anything that exciting.

Its not – its the Pentlands – just nice riding – nowt particualraly exciting. a few decent decents and some good views in places.

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

was up there tonight and despite the rain it was in fairly good shape. Hopefully see y'all tomorrow!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 80 total)

The topic ‘'Clouds of Dust' – the TBC/STW Pentlands Wednesday Wheeled Ramble’ is closed to new replies.