Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Cloud Storage – one for everything?
  • oliwb
    Free Member

This could be moon on a stick content….

At the moment I use Google (bought a chromebook over a year ago) and my wife is an apple chick. Both of us are right on the limit of our storage space with the respective clouds. I’m wondering if anyone has any experience of the likes of AWS or buying more space from google to continue expanding our storage? I’m thinking integration (especially for the wife) is important. Otherwise, should I be looking at NAS or something else? We have a decent new desktop running Ubuntu (Linux) that I use for photo and video editing and otherwise all of our computing is based on ipads / chromebooks. We’re both use to “cloud” storage so not having access when wifi is down isn’t really a big issue – I need it to be relatively fast though as I hate sitting around waiting for photo libraries to load…..Anybody have any experience in this department?

somouk
    Free Member

Depends on the volume you’re after. I prefer to have a local storage option when shifting big files around so have my own Synology NAS that talks to everything.

You can do cloud access from the outside world as well if need be.

oliwb
    Free Member

Not sure on the volume thing….I’m probably at about 100 GB on google drive and she’s used basically all of the free iCloud space (is that like 5GB?). The Synology looks pretty good – if pricey. Maybe I should be thinking of buying one of these with a couple of TB of storage and then back-up to google drive just paying for what I need over and above my 100 GB or whatever it is…..does the RAM make much difference to these NAS’s? I assume the limit is your router anyway? I guess the way to do it is to edit things locally on the desktop then store them when you’re finished on the NAS, which can be accessed via wifi / internet by the chromebook and ipad…..

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Cloud Storage – one for everything?’ is closed to new replies.