Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • 'cloud' storage
  • peter1979
    Free Member

I’ve been using drop box for about 3 years. Initially when i joined there were various promo’s on and I amounted a free storage capacity of around 70GB. I’m using about 18GB at the moment (pics, vids and files) and have been warned that my free promo’s are about to expire (14 days time). After this time it will not delete all my files, but will instead not allow me to sync/save any more. Once expired my storage capacity will be 3GB.
    I can have 1TB of storage for the sum of £79.99 per year, which is steep when compared to the cost of local storage space etc.
    What I want to know is whats the alternative? I’ve seen a WD 2TB My Cloud Personal Cloud Storage – NAS on amazon for £100 which should do the job. Any other options?

Selled
    Free Member

I use Google drive, $1.99 per month for 100Gb. Quite happy with it.

Greybeard
    Free Member

For me, I’d buy the personal cloud, but if you want to have access from many different places, you’d need to leave your broadband connected and make sure you had secure access. I may be old fashioned but I don’t trust other people with my data if I can avoid it.

mikey74
    Free Member

I’d get both: If you get a NAS you would still want to backup your data externally. I’m looking into this at the moment and i am veering towards a single bay Synology NAS with either cloud storage as a backup or an external, portable HDD to store in another location, such as my parent’s house.

peter1979
    Free Member

I just had a look at the google idrive thing. I cant see a way for my phone to automatically upload photos that I take to it though. It seems like I have to manually upload them? I like the idea of the WD 1TB drive, but as pointed out, if it gets damaged then you still lose your data.

Lazgoat
    Free Member

You can sync your phone with Google Docs, I think it’s via the Google+ App. Get the Google Drive Appo your mobile device.

mrchrispy

My QNAP syncs upto amazon s3 as a 3rd copy (1st on PC, 2nd on QNAP raid5), about 60Gb on there and I get charged about 2-3 dollars a month (so a couple of quid at most)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘'cloud' storage’ is closed to new replies.