Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Cloud services and RAM
  • zokes
    Free Member

I’ve been increasingly fed up with Dropbox swallowing large chunks of RAM, turning a 16GB Macbook Pro into a sluggish mess after a few days / weeks without a reboot. It seems dropbox are fairly unrepentant about this. How have users of other cloud storage providers faired?

Frankly I don’t buy Dropbox’s excuse as Spotlight has to know stuff about every single file on my Mac and does just fine, but 8-9GB of RAM for a simple file-sync service is nuts. Dropbox seem to be increasingly pushing towards a paid only service, and I’d rather vacate them completely before that happens. What other cloud providers are there with similar functionality for free? If not free, what others are there with reasonable subscription costs. I’m a Mac user, so anything from M$ will need to be well implemented on OSX.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Google drive, light easy and never notice it running out idea about osx but it’s seamless across Android and Windows, there is some versioning stuff too as I found by accident too. Free is a bit, It’s about $3 au a month for a lot and $20 for a terrabyte

zokes
    Free Member

We use G-suite for work, which might make keeping the two separate a little difficult. Can you have two Google drives on one machine?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Couple of options
    https://www.multcloud.com/tutorials/2-google-drive-accounts-on-1-computer-4348.html
    In windows I have a personal and work login, the personal one launches whenever the machine goes on and launchews GDrive there so it runs in the background.
    For the web side of it different chrome logins sorts all that too

wobbliscott
    Free Member

My brother uses Google Drive with his Apple stuff and PC’s and rates it. What about Apples Cloud storage if you’re already invested in Apple?

zokes
    Free Member

What about Apples Cloud storage if you’re already invested in Apple?

Yeah, I have a bibliography database stashed away on my free 5GB, but it’s really lacking functionality in terms of file sharing, version control, etc. that Dropbox offers. A personal and a work G drive sounds ideal, but looks a bit clunky

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Cloud services and RAM’ is closed to new replies.