Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Cloud drive helpdesk: Dropbox or Google Drive or something else?
  • reluctantlondoner

Hello,

I need to push some stuff (about 500GB) into the cloud to be accessible in a range of places and I’m not sure whether to go all in with Google or not?

I work off Mac, so I guess I could use iCloud, but meh. And I previously used Dropbox for free, but found it a bit nagware like.

Head says Dropbox is probably most evolved, but heart likes the idea of Google search power to get through my documents and stuff.

What do you use and recommend?

Thanks.

jimdubleyou

Dropbox won’t index your stuff & try to sell you things of the back of it.

You can also get a few more GBs by jumping through their hoops.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Been running dropbox for two years now, I’m also on a mac. Not had any problems, it syncs with my Synology NAS drive too. Not had any nagware so I’m guessing this is a by product of the free version.

leffeboy

Do you really mean 500gb? They will all be pricey at that point. A nas maybe cheapest. I think you get 1TB with office365 these days and that works nicely

reluctantlondoner

It is 500GB that i need unfortunately – lots of media accumulated over the years through work.

Not too concerned about $10US per month – just want easy.

jimdubleyou

Just been looking myself, Dropbox Pro is £79.99 for 1TB/year.

Which is the same price as Office 365, which will give 5 users 1TB each.

Seems like a good deal…

leffeboy

If it’s media and you don’t want public access then a Synology NAS works nicely as it has a media browser. I use this for our office videos and photos (about 500GB as well). You do need a reasonable internet connection though. The device is probably 500 EUR though

I like Dropbox as if you get screwed with ransomware it is quite easy to recover. Haven’t had to try with Google though

I like Office365 and OneDrive in general but don’t know how well it works with Mac

GHill

I have “unlimited” (max file size of 5 TB apparently) Google Drive storage through work. It’s terrible at getting everything sync’d correctly, so I actually pay for a Dropbox account.

Definitely avoid Google Drive if you use symlinks, it doesn’t follow them.

reluctantlondoner

Sounds like Dropbox is the go.

I’ve just updated my MS Office and I am very quickly remembering how much I hate MS.

mrblobby
    Free Member

I use mostly Google drive as I get pretty much unlimited free with Google Apps. Syncing does seem a bit problematic at times, certainty for big files. I’m tempted to switch to Office 365 as you seem to get loads for your money.

I use the free storage from Dropbox and it does seem to work the best and gives the least sync issues. Difficult to justify paying for more cloud storage though when I’ve already got loads from Google.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Cloud drive helpdesk: Dropbox or Google Drive or something else?’ is closed to new replies.