Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • clothing options for mt ventoux in july
  • turneround

ok, i know it can be blisteringly hot there but also supa windy. i just needed arm warmers on the croix de fer for the early morning run but Mt ventoux is a different beast. any suggestions for what needs to taken to tackle this monster

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

Depends on the weather. I went up in August on a day one local said wasn’t very hot and it was baking. Cool enough at the top that we were starting to feel chilly after 30-40 minutes standing around soaked in sweat, so I put a wind proof gilet on, but had to stop 10 minutes into the descent to take it off because I was too hot.

Stu_N

If it’s a decent day arm warmers and gilet is fine. Even when it’s 30°c or more in bedoin it’s about 10-15°C at the top. We’ve started early so you get the lower slopes over when it’s a bit cooler and staggered the start times so you all get to the rop at about the same time. Much more pleasant sitting in Bedoin with a coffee than waiting at the top and chilling to the bone.

JoB
    Free Member

take everything, arm-warmers, knee-warmers and a decent rain jacket, maybe a buff, the mountain attracts it’s own weather that’s alarmingly unpredictable

i’ve been at the bottom too hot in shorts and short sleeves, got to the top in a hail storm worrying about getting back down alive, really

many others have had similar experiences, not that it’s like that every time but you need to be prepared

jambalaya
    Free Member

I’ve never been to the top, we went in April and it was the road was still shut due to snow !

back2basics
    Free Member

do what the french do, just wear bib shorts and gloves, no tops

titusrider
    Free Member

if you are starting early, prepare to be cold

I did the 3x (club des cinques) in may on a beautiful day but started my first descent just after 9am and it was v cold! – i survived in just jersey and armwarmers though

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

I’ve got a Gore windstopper vest which is great for these kind of rides. Really light and breathable on the back but a proper panel on the chest. Unless, its scorching I would wear one of these and compliment with some decent armwarmers and pack a rain cape.

antigee

rode up twice couple of summers ago – first time early start but not a breathe of wind and a pleasant 20degs or so mid morning at the top!

2 days later did as part of a longer ride and arrived after noon at top passing a guy wearing a down padded jacket on the descent which though a bit OTT as was sweating up – wind on top bitter cold and could hardly stand back down to 32degsC in valley

so like on all windy mountains (clue is in the name) take an extra jumper and you’ll be all right
    (or as said above a wind vest think I have the same one)

jameso

The CdF is more likely to be cold or ‘alpine’ than the Ventoux but Provence summer weather has got a lot more stormy over recent years so don’t assume it’ll be baking hot. Ideally I’d have an insulated gilet of some kind and replace the usual windproof with a light waterproof. Descending in the Alps while shivering so much the bars are wobbling is no fun and a wind/waterproof over a normal jersey just isn’t enough to prevent that.

IHN

Just to be a STW contrary-Mary, I did it in July in shorts and short sleeved top. It was lovely. I was probably lucky.

nickc

Same as JoB, been at the bottom, sweating just standing still, with a full on gale and horizontal rain at the top. Make like a scout.

MrNice
    Free Member

I did it in September this year and it was beautiful on top. slight breeze to take the edge off the heat but very comfortable in shorts and s/s jersey. It does have a reputation for having its own weather (and the region generally gets some big storms) but I’d have thought a local weather forecast would warn you of extremes. I think I carried arm warmers just in case.

EDIT:

OP, are you going up there this time of year? if yes, plenty back-up clothing is probably a very good idea

turneround

cheers all…

peteimpreza

Be prepared, the year the Etape went over the top the event was abandoned due to high winds and snow. In July.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘clothing options for mt ventoux in july’ is closed to new replies.