Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Clothing bins for the disadvantaged
  • hugor
    Free Member

Had a cleanout of the wardrobe yesterday. Can anyone tell me where to find clothing bins to donate good quality used clothes to disadvantaged people?

philconsequence
    Free Member

tescos (other supermarkets are available) sometimes have them with the rest of the big recycling bins 🙂

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Charity shops?

wwaswas

Salvation Army?

Be aware that a lot of those bins go through private companies who just ship the stuff out to Eastern Europe/Africa and pay a small percentage of their revenue to the named chairty.

loum
    Free Member

Timpson, the shoe repair/ key cutters do shoe recycling bins like this.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

And be very wary of the donation bags pushed through your letterbox.

joao3v16
    Free Member

I believe a lot of these bins have been removed – something to do with them increasingly being stolen/emptied by unscrupulous types for their own profit somehow …

z1ppy

And be very wary of the donation bags pushed through your letterbox.

ontop of any unscrupulous bags, ppl just drive round and collect the ‘official’ ones too. There a local spot, where every now and again you find a load of old clothing dumped, after obviously been sorted through.

hugor
    Free Member

I did look outside my local asda and didn’t see one. Might try some of the others then. I’ll check out my local Timpson as well.
    I wasn’t planning on leaving my personal details so I don’t think they’ll spam my mailbox.
    I just thought there would be big bins somewhere where I could dump the clothes.
    Most of the stuff is hardly worn or doesn’t fit anymore. 😳

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

If its good condition take it to a charity shop. More money is likely to end u in the hands of the recipients of the charity that way

BoardinBob

Took 6 bags to the Salvation Army clothing banks in Morrison’s on Saturday.

mustard
    Free Member

Most of the stuff is hardly worn or doesn’t fit anymore

Take it to a charity shop instead where they can sell it on to make money to help others. eBay (and probably all these places popping up that will but your old clothes at ?£/kg) has really reduced the ammount of good quality stuff going to charity shops as people would rather make 50p profit for their old Bros t-shirt or Right Said Fred single than let a charity shop get £1 for it 🙁

The majority of the stuff that goes in charity clothing bins, as stated above, goes to rag men who pay per kilo and ship it off to Africa. Although I did see one the other day, either Barnados or Oxfam I think, that said the items do get distributed to their shops. If you take it to a shop and they deem it unsaleable (is that a word?) they will then bundle it up and at that point it goesto the ragman – there is more profit selling it through teh shops though.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Clothing bins for the disadvantaged’ is closed to new replies.