Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Closure of an important museum – Please Help
  • SaxonRider

I am going to post some information here on the surprise closure of Bede’s World in Tyneside.

Having been there many times with my children, I can say that it is one of the best presented and most important museums I have been to in the UK. It certainly surpasses anything I have been to on the Continent. But South Tyneside Council has suddenly declared the museum financially unfeasible, yet have failed to take account of its international importance. A forthcoming television series by Bernard Cornwell that will centre on Jarrow will, in itself, only lend to its profile.

I realise that it will not be everyone’s cup of tea on here, but please read the following information and, if there is anything you can do, join me in doing it.

Closure of Bede’s World – how to help.

This is a message to all colleagues and friends who have expressed concern over the closure of Bede’s World this week. The closure may be temporary. We do, however, need as much support as possible.

I would ask anyone who has visited or led field visits with students or lectured for the Friends to consider helping us by writing in support and encouraging their organisations to do so as well. Letters or e-mails should be directed to the Leader of South Tyneside Council and copied to the Chief Executive.

The key messages we need to get across are that any new venue must retain the educational purpose of Bede’s World and should continue to serve as an educational resource for all levels – from schools through to university students and adult education; we also need to emphasise that the complex and museum must retain a connection to Bede and the early medieval monasteries.

Please write if you can and please share this widely and with any mailing lists relevant to early medieval archaeology or to the region.

Leader of South Tyneside Council – Iain Malcolm and CE of South Tyneside Council – Martin Swales can both be reached via democraticservices@southtyneside.gov.uk

bearnecessities

I can’t believe Bede’s dead.

SaxonRider

I just hope they don’t lay a finger on Joe Cocker’s World.

bearnecessities

Well played 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

It might seem obscure, but a museum such as this represents the birth of the identity of most of STW.

neilthewheel

It’s very sad news. We were only there on Thursday and there was no hint of anything wrong. Jarrow /Monkwearmouth was one of the most important centres of Saxon culture and hence of modern civilisation.

project
    Free Member

cuts have to be made to keep this pathetic governmnet in power and obviously this is one of the cuts they didnt want to fund.

midlifecrashes

Bede is hardly obscure, but growing up in the north-east I managed to learn about Bede before the museum opened. I think a good chunk of the exhibits were previously held at Durham and Lindisfarne. Bede was certainly internationally important, but I’d never heard of Bede’s World until last week spotting it on the map while planning a Hadrian’s ride.

trademark
    Free Member

Very sad to hear. My family are from Monkwearmouth and I grew up in that area.
    The DLI museum in County Durham is also getting closed.
    Tragic.

SaxonRider

By way of follow-up to the original post, I am delighted to have learnt just now that Bede’s World has been saved from closure.

Maybe it was the power of STW that did it. 8)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Closure of an important museum – Please Help’ is closed to new replies.