Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Closing threads
  • aracer
    Free Member

Just thinking aloud here, I was wondering whether it would be easier for the mods to set up something to automatically close threads started by a certain poster. Would save them a lot of trouble. Well done for getting in early this time…

druidh
    Free Member

{thread closed}

jon1973
    Free Member

it would be easier for the mods to set up something to automatically close threads started by a certain poster.

Why not just ban them?

deluded
    Free Member

The problem is not the thread – it’s the people that contribute and give oxygen to them. Supply and demand.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Who are we talking about here please ?

project
    Free Member

It was…………..

piemonster

I largely produce methane, not oxygen

druidh
    Free Member

A quick look down there V will find the last closed thread.

piemonster

point taken though, I’ll save my methane for under the duvet

bigyinn
    Free Member

Was that the 911 thread? Didn’t actually see why that one got pinched out when it did.

soobalias
    Free Member

this certainly smacks of questioning the mods

MussEd
    Free Member

Why can’t closed threads just be moderated-removed? Not particularly talking about any one person here btw…

pussywillow
    Free Member

aracer – Member
    Just thinking aloud here, I was wondering whether it would be easier for the mods to set up something to automatically close threads started by a certain poster. Would save them a lot of trouble. Well done for getting in early this time…
    POSTED 22 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

Arse licker 😆

druidh
    Free Member

Sometimes (usually) the thread is fine up until a certain point. It would be a shame to lose all of that just because some arse decided to take it on the “wrong” direction or, more likely, started resorting to personal abuse.

It has been known for some threads to disappear completely. Try asking a local from the village of Nigg about the ferry schedule.

MussEd
    Free Member

That makes sense…

aracer
    Free Member

Didn’t actually see why that one got pinched out when it did.

No me neither – it was actually that which prompted this thought, as I wondered if the mods had stepped in early because it was just going to go the same way as other threads. Of course they might have just deleted the posts which made them think it would end up causing trouble.

MussEd
    Free Member

Apart from the ferry thing….no idea what you’re on about there…

glupton1976
    Free Member

Here’s the thing with STW – Threads that start off as an attempt at a decent if somewhat random conversation are quickly hijacked by a small number of people, the same people each time who never get banned, and they always head off in a nasty direction – personal insults start flying and the usual nonsense follows on from it.

Here’s a suggestion for some people – instead of automatically assuming that a thread is a troll, think of it as an off the wall conversation instead and play nice – perhaps try playing devil’s advocate.

What is wrong with having a discussion on conspiracy theories and research into them?

piemonster

I unfortunately do. And the more I read a certain 2yr old thread the more I edge back and sideways towards the nearest exit.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Threads are moderated/closed/deleted inconsistently imo…

Surely it boils down to reported posts (as in the amount of) on a particular thread that ultimately leads to it’s closure.

aracer
    Free Member

In this case it’s usually the OP who starts throwing the personal insults around.

druidh
    Free Member

Ooh – I’m intrigued. Which one is that?

nealglover
    Free Member

What is wrong with having a discussion on conspiracy theories and research into them?

Nothing.

But as soon as some actual Peer Reviewed research is posted, the person who asks all the questions and posts youtube videos to “prove” his theories loses interest and starts another stupid thread about something else.

piemonster

Ooh – I’m intrigued. Which one is that?

You can find it linked on one of the recent and relevant threads.

aracer
    Free Member

Apart from the ferry thing….no idea what you’re on about there…

I understand it’s related to how you refer to the locals…

davidjones15
    Free Member

perhaps try playing devil’s advocate.

Some people don’t like devil’s advocates. Perhaps it’s a bit too difficult a concept for them.

patriotpro
    Free Member

aracer – Member
    In this case it’s usually the OP who starts throwing the personal insults around.

Go on then
    🙂

glupton1976
    Free Member

Take this thread for example – nothing but nonsense posted in it when the OP was trying to start what could have been a decent thread or indeed chain of threads.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/stw-research-club-i-propose-911-as-the-first-subject-for-investigation

soobalias
    Free Member

thats far too much like hard work

soobalias
    Free Member

whats the difference between devils avocado and trollin?

this thread already stinks of the ***** defence

aracer
    Free Member

Take this thread for example – nothing but nonsense posted in it when the OP was trying to start what could have been a decent thread

Judging by that poster’s other threads, if it had been allowed to run as he wanted, he’d have just posted a different sort of nonsense in it.

davidjones15
    Free Member

whats the difference between devils avocado and trollin?

Avocados should make you think about another point of view, nothing at all like trolling.

glupton1976
    Free Member

Thing is, if people dont post comments to wind up the OP and stick to the topic of the thread it cant turn into a troll thread.

piemonster

aracer – Member

Still reading through that 2yr old thread. The OP I believe is being referred to posted the following;

**** face to face you wouldn’t last 10 seconds you want a piece f@ck nut come get some.

This was, by the way. A response to a post sticking to the original topic of the thread

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Judging by that poster’s other threads, if it had been allowed to run as he wanted, he’d have just posted a different sort of nonsense in it.

Judging by that poster’s other threads if it had been allowed to run it would have received a great deal of response and run for many pages.

loum
    Free Member

It had more potential than this pile of shite thread.

RustySpanner

aracer – Member

So what specifically was wrong with the 9/11 thread aracer?
    Why do you think kaesea should be banned?

Genuinely interested.

pingu66
    Free Member

There’s a reference to a threat earlier in this thread. Now in all sincerity that in itself should receive a ban, not sure who posted it or when originally.

Sometimes on here its great. Good advice tec. Other times there are some real idiots who decide to go off piste and make personal attacks. I have had it myself and no doubt will again.

Unfortunately some people are incapable of playing nice.

I think moderators should take a more consistent approach to banning and closing threads.

Some of the humour on the 911 thread was great. Start bullying throwing threats around simple ban.

Its a better place after the recent bans and I am sure there will be more, after all people have not taken heed!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Threads get closed when lots of posts get lots of reports. If users get lots of reports about them, they get banned. Sometimes for long periods. This leads to increased site traffic and premier sign-ups.

mefty
    Free Member

Ernie Lynch – the voice of reason…on this occasion.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Closing threads’ is closed to new replies.