Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Closing a limited company,
  • mrchrispy

I know I should probably speak to the accountant but I’m going to try my luck with the collective.

I almost went contracting a few weeks ago but after much soul searching decided to stay a permy, I got pretty far down the route and paid the first months accountancy fee which included setting up a ltd company and bank account. I pulled the plug before the bank account was setup so I’m left with the company, accountants want another months fees to close it down. As its already been an expensive decision so I’m trying to limit further costs.

Am I right in thinking that I just need to get the company struck off (form DS01) with companies house?

Do I also need to tell HMRC/VAT?

Captain_Sponge

Mr C – I can’t speak with expertise in this field but I’d be amazed if you have already received a VAT number with a “few weeks”?

Also I’d look at the options to leave it as a dormant company, it shouldn’t attract any Accountants fees if its receiving no income?

Good luck.

CS.

samuri
    Free Member

Rack up loads of debt, purchase 17 company cars, liquidate the company.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Log into Companies House and just apply to have it struck off – very simple.

allthepies
    Free Member

You are Martin Freeman and I claim my £5 dividend payment.

hora
    Free Member

Newsflash hijack! Nothing received in the post OP. 😀

mrchrispy

Had some VAT registration and HMRC number for company but thats all.
    Pretty happy with the Companies House stuff but worry about getting a bill for not submitting something like final accounts (even though it never traded) .

was going to email you about that hora – all quiet on the parking front (for now).

nickjb
    Free Member

but worry about getting a bill for not submitting something like final accounts (even though it never traded) .

You are right to be worried. The tax man might still want some paperwork or a self assessment, they won’t tell you and they will fine you if you don’t do it. .

mrchrispy

I’m begining to think it might just be worth sucking up the final fee from the accountants for peace of mind

craigxxl
    Free Member

You should submit the first VAT return a NIL return and de-register for VAT.

If you are thinking about going the Limited company route at a later date then just keep the company dormant which you can do yourself.

oldnpastit

Definitely phone up HMRC, unless you especially enjoy that leaden feeling you get in the pit of your stomach when you open scary letters from them involving you, money, unpaid taxes and veiled threats.

Make sure to right down everything they say, so you can tell them when they send the letter anyway.

nickdavies

Pretty happy with the Companies House stuff but worry about getting a bill for not submitting something like final accounts (even though it never traded) .

Yep you’ll need to file a return still so there will be more fees. Leaving it dormant also incurs fees – you can’t win so you may as well pay the money knock it on the head and move on.

karlsbug
    Free Member

I’ve had a dormant company for about three years. No probs at all just file zero returns its no biggie. You just have to tell HMRC when you start trading again. Do it all yourself on Companies House website. Sign up for reminders as well.

garage-dweller

the striking off procedure is contained in the Companies Act 2006 and there are certain people you must give written notice to.

This is actually written in relatively plain English and you really should follow the process as there are penalties for not doing so if anything goes wrong.

The legislation can be downloaded for free and Companies House have a pdf guide iirc.

Your accountant ought to be able to help here.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Closing a limited company,’ is closed to new replies.