Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Closest you've come to getting your bike stolen?
  • Rosss
    Free Member

Whats the closest you’ve come to actually having your bike nicked? I was riding round the monkey the other week when I was confronted by two 20ish year olds on bmxs. Fully kitted out for biking – Man U rooney shirts, Nike trainers with white socks tucked into tracksuit bottoms on reebok bmxs, The works I was supprised they weren’t mojo team riders. The kind gentleman on the right took a liking to my bike and asked me politley if he could “Try out that nice ride mate while I held his bmx” I was flattered but had to decline. I rode off swiftly when they made a move towards me, they followed but I lost them minutes later around the crossing to the upper cliff section. It never occured to me that riding alone at midday at cannock in the school holidays was a bad idea. Strange experience but I want to hear radder experiences.

samuri
    Free Member

Well I’ve actually had a couple of bikes nicked. Do I win?

Rosss
    Free Member

If there is a decent story of what happen to go with it you get bonus points. Sorry to hear it though mate

racefaceec90

luckily no (touchwood).i always try and double lock my bike,if leaving it anywhere for any time (is an inconvenience carrying 2 u locks,but would be heartbroken if my bike got nicked)

Oxboy
    Free Member

Unbelievable I have never even considered someone would try to steal my bike while I was actually riding it. Bloody bmx bandits!

Rosss
    Free Member

Honestly they were like a pair of JJB pirates

PJM1974
    Free Member

It’s happened a couple of times to me. First guy walked into my office, wandered off with a laptop before stopping at my bike as I was wandering down the stairs. Unbeknownst to me the police had already been called and he was arrested on site.

The second incident involved a bunch of chavs at a cashpoint, I think they were too smashed on Thunderbird to pose much of an issue, but I explained to the largest and mouthiest of them what would happen if he took another pace forward and they just let me go.

13thfloormonk

I somehow got away with locking my pure chav-bait (pimp Marzocchi ‘spension, big aggro Hope disc brakes, lots of sparkly Maxxis stickers) street bike up in Edinburgh for the best part of a year without it getting nicked, closest I came was coming out of a Uni computing lab late to find a mangled, but still intact, Kryptonite lock securing my bike to the railings, they’d obviously had a wrestle with some bolt croppers and either been disturbed or given up.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

I lifted a scroat off my bike, having watched him cut through my lock, before throwing him into the bike shed at my work.

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

when i was 14, i was just riding along and 3 15/16 year old eastern European lads decided they wanted my bike and swiftly smashed me over the head with a d-lock. 17 stitches and 1 DDG shooter down!!!

never did get the bike back.

spooky_b329

I had a Lava Dome nicked outside my work years back…I’m still sure it was a scrote I knew from school.

When I was school age I had a couple of lads walking towards me side by side in an attempt to stop me, as I approached they were being chatty and asking about the bike. I made as if to stop and then darted round them, the language that followed made me realise I had made the right choice.

franksinatra

When living in a tenement in Edinburgh I got us early one morning to find a bloke trying to cut through a lock securing my Cannondale to the rail in the stair. I chased him down the stairs and along the street whilst telling him what I thought of him before remembering that I was naked. He never came back.

crotchrocket
    Free Member

Someone broke into my garage, Broke a dlock and nicked my lads 11″ spesh hotrock. I was furious, but not in attendance so it doesn’t matter :/
    The cops said it was most likely “stolen to order”!!!! as they left my bikes, which were on the same lock!
    I think they just had better taste in bikes than me 🙁

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

In his teens years ago my brother leant his bike on the LBS window and was 5 yards away inside when it was nicked. Bloke rode off, brother chased but was loosing. He actually stopped a car in the street and told the driver to follow his bike, which he did. They caught and cornered the bloke in a dead end. My brother was little and skinny then and this bloke was big and burly, but bro was spitting with rage and the theif dropped the bike and ran off. Was in the local paper at the time, IIRC

AndrewBF
    Free Member

As a youngster I decided that my old Raleigh 5-speed racer was no longer what I wanted. I also learned about insurance and reckoned that if the bike was stolen my parents would claim and with the cash I’d get a new bike.

So I took it to the bad part of town a few miles away and left it in the park and walked away.

I went back later in the day to find that it had been stolen. Oh dear.

Except it was still there :(. It was such an old battered bike that not even the worst of the local chavs would touch it. I was gutted, and never did get a new bike 🙁

fourbanger
    Free Member

I’d just finished the BHF L2B after not ridding seriously for a few years and lent my Pompino up against the bus, went in and sat down for 10 minutes. Came back out to find it wasn’t there, no one else had seen it and I was kicking myself for losing a bike in such a stupid way after such a nice ride. I walk along the seafront in a shitty mood when I see a cop walking back towards me with two 10 year old scrotes in tow. He told me he saw them struggling to ride it (way too big and SS) up the hill out of town and invited me to persuade them (verbally!) what a bad idea it was to take other peoples possesions. I’d like to say I felt bad making a couple of 10 year olds cry, but I really didn’t!
    That was pretty close.

allthepies
    Free Member

Some scrote tried to nick my hack bike from the local train station but failed and was caught on CCTV. He also managed to appear in the background of a local news piece TV later that day loitering at the station (with a big **** off station clock above his head to make more CCTV identification easier for the police).

Anyway this criminal mastermind is due in court this week (or might have been last) having coughed to the the charges when the evidence was put to him 🙂

chainslapp
    Free Member

Rosss, have you never noticed all the chavs parked near the entrance of the last trail on the Monkey? Im surprised nothing more has been reported.

anto164
    Free Member

About 7 years ago i had to ride around a big gang of teenagers in the local park.. As soon as i saw them all look at me and hear one of them shout ‘grab his bike’ i stood up and sprinted around them trying to give them a massive birth (I was riding across a football pitch in the park) They managed to get to about 8′ of me, then the ground got smoother and i was able to get away.

Last time someone tried to grab my bike off me (about 3 years back) i ended up flooring them.

HansRey

this reminds of an event i heard about at bolehills jumps. A big community response helped the kids get their bikes back, aren’t bikers great??!!

Only time i’ve had was i was pushing bike back whilst walking with a friend. A local paska then decided to join, and started asking how much each component was worth. He was particularly focussing on my ‘On-one reetard’ wheels, cuz theys dead wicked innit.

Keva
    Free Member

Left my Rock Lobster outside the newsagents in town, in clear view so I can keep an eye on it whilst I bought a drink, like I do regularly. It was Saturday afternoon. Just as I’m handing the cashier some money I see someone take off with my bike. I scarpered out the shop like lightning, the door slamming behind me, I dropped my rucksack on the floor and shouted, I started to give chase when the guy with my bike turned around laughing his head off… it was a mate of mine. Several people in the market place had seen the whole thing and had also stopped to have a snigger. It was quite funny, boy was my heart racing. The git.

Kev

Rosss
    Free Member

Chainslapp, Yes I have the road up the middle of the monkey links the main road into Rugely and cannock. It’s always going to end badly. It’s only a matter of time before the knock someone off at the bottom of the uppercliff throw the bike in the car and drive straight into the town.

mamadirt
    Free Member
    chainslapp
    Free Member

Rosss, I totally agree, all it will take is a lone rider on an expensive bike and they will spy there chance Im sure.
    Have you noticed that one car is parked at the entrance to the trail and one at the exit? I just hope I don’t have to read a similar thread advising me that this has happened. 😡

bawbag
    Free Member

I got punched from behind when I stopped at traffic lights just before Broadway Market in London. I jumped off the bike and was holding it while the gent who had punched me was trying to pull it from me shouting ‘GIVE ME THE BIKE, GIVE ME THE BIKE’. As we were both holding it and I had a helmet on I headbutted him but unfortunately only lost the peak of my helmet. Another couple of punches from both of us and I managed to leg it with the bike with him chasing me over the canal.

Ahhh, I miss London.

Rosss
    Free Member

I ride on my own up there all the time and i’m starting to think it’s only a matter of time. The car near the entrance took a liking to my pitch until my three mates came around the corner. I think some warning signs and some CCTV is in need

bawbag
    Free Member

It was the only real trouble that I got in London but it was a shock that the normally fine ride from work could suddenly turn into that with very little warning. It certainly made me look over my shoulder at traffic lights from that point on.

chainslapp
    Free Member

Its a pity that the local bobby’s couldn’t get involved, but technically the lads aren’t doing anything wrong, until they do. Even if they put a bar on the entrance of the lane to stop them getting in, they could wait for people to exit at the bottom and take the bike then, its a dilemma.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Closest you've come to getting your bike stolen?’ is closed to new replies.