Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Closest you can sleep to centre of Ambleside in a T5 camper?
  • rascal
    Free Member

As per question really.
    In middle of June for 2 nights.
    Mates staying in YH but I said I’d go in van…then Ambleside booked.
    I might have made a slight error in hindsight 😳

oldtennisshoes

Rugby Club car park?

brakeswithface

I normally park here (in a car): https://goo.gl/maps/UTkR1guj2NQ2

Might be ok if you’re discrete.

gingerbllr
    Free Member

I’d park on under loughrigg lane, up near where the bridge over the river goes into the park. 10mins (if that) walk from town.

Be discrete, you’ll be fine.

rascal
    Free Member

Not totally out of the question then…thanks fellas.

woody2000

Book a dorm bed in YH, sleep in car park instead? 🙂

hodgynd
    Free Member

What’s discrete?
    Am I missing out on something 😀

ElShalimo

Simply convert your camper back to a panel van, legally park it wherever you like and sleep in the back of it. Nobody will suspect anything.
    8)

trademark
    Free Member

“What’s discrete?
    Am I missing out on something :)”

It’s being discreet but separate from the others … 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

As long as it’s parked legally what’s the issue ? I often park in streets and non charging carparks….

I’m far from discrete. It’s 22ft long and bright red…. How ever from the outside with the blinds down it’s just a parked van with no indication of anyone inside….. If your vans a pop top with the bed in the roof life is harder.

gingerbllr
    Free Member

How ever from the outside with the blinds down it’s just a parked van with no indication of anyone inside

AKA being discrete.

Basically when I say be discrete, what im actualy saying is “dont be a **** so the locals hate you and ruin it for everyone else”

trail_rat
    Free Member

Aye it’s when you see eejits in carparks with the awnings out and their chairs out 🙂 that’s not on. For me arrive late leave early sleep where ever is legal.

If it’s for more than a day then luck is being pushed imo

Esme
    Free Member

This looks like a suitable place!

ThePinkster

Does the Youth Hostel have a car park? If so how about explaining you’ve a mate stopping and ask if you can park there for a donation?

No idea what response you’d get but I’m sure it’d be polite, whatever.

hodgynd
    Free Member

@Trademark .. 😆
    I like it !

wiggles
    Free Member

Do you need separate T5 parking away from the riff-raff in other van based vehicles? 😉

muzz
    Free Member

That space in under loughrigg isn’t the usual sort of space I’d go for, I’d be worried about folk coming along and crashing into the van when I was sleeping, I prefer to be off the road somewhere

crazy-legs

That space in under loughrigg isn’t the usual sort of space I’d go for, I’d be worried about folk coming along and crashing into the van when I was sleeping, I prefer to be off the road somewhere

That road gets busy and the locals aren’t always best pleased about its use as a free car park. It’s also prone to bad flooding, I’ve seen it under a foot of water several times when that river bursts its banks.

I’ve “camped” in the back of an estate car up on The Struggle which I appreciate isn’t “easy walking distance” from the centre of Ambleside but it’s only a short drive into town or up to the Kirkstone Pass Inn from there.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Wateredge car park, down next to the YH. Free from 6pm til 9am, and 24hr toilets on site, YH bar and pub either side, slept in the van there a couple of times myself.

Perfect.

rascal
    Free Member

Love that nobeer – that’s the one!

bigfoot
    Free Member

i’m local and would go with the under loughrigg suggestions, plenty of people do park up there for a night in there van.
    straight out of the van in the morning for a ride without having to drive anywhere.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

It’s only 6 or 7 quid a day to leave van there all day too.

ampthill

That under Loughrigg road is quiet. It is meant to be no through traffic/access only.

postierich
    Free Member

River Rothay road very quiet as as above straight on the trails, thought Wateredge had cameras on it for 24 hr parking. The YHA carpark gets rammed and good chance you will get some door dentage

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Wasn’t aware if the cameras Rich, cheers! It’s fine for overnight mind.

Aye, YH car park is always packed.

lowey

Waterhead is ANPR, but its free overnight. I’ve parked there loads when the YHA is full.

The Bend in the river Car Park at Clappersgate is also a good spot.

footflaps

There’s a layby about a 1/2 mile up the struggle on the RHS which often has campers overnight.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Closest you can sleep to centre of Ambleside in a T5 camper?’ is closed to new replies.