Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Closest proper rocky trails to the South East?
  • bubs

if I get a “big” bike, where are the nearest trails to ride it? I want rocks, drops, more rocks and technical bits. Alternatively, where is a good short weekend overseas destination? Somewhere where you can ride without a massive transfer? Does anyone have a not do secret bolt hole destination? Thanks

chiefgrooveguru

Do you mean big as in DH?

jam-bo

South Wales probably.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bubs

Not DH big but 160-170mm and built more solidly than a trail or Enduro type bike. The sort of thing you get to hammer in the Alps and not be overly precious about.
    South Wales is about 3.5hours. Are you thinking bikepark Wales, Afan or natural stuff?

chakaping
    Free Member

Might be better off heading for the peaks if you are not south of London.

chiefgrooveguru

If you’re thinking big jumps and drops then there’s some pretty big stuff at PORCH and Steyning. Not a lot of rock around here though…

offthebrakes
    Free Member

Exmoor?

iffoverload
    Free Member

Valencia! 🙂

eshershore
    Free Member

What are these “rocks” you speak of?

When I think of all my riding in the South-East its loam, mud, wet leaves and tree roots

molgrips
    Free Member

Where South East?

From London I’d say South Wales. You can be in Cwmcarn in 2 hours from the M25.

CalamityJames
    Free Member

Not many rocks/ mountains down South (unfortunately) but PORC may be of interest for a day out, depending where you are based: http://www.porc.uk.com/

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Malaga from Gatwick is easy enough for a weekend. There are a few companies doing uplift/guiding in the area. Book flights early and you could do a long weekend for <£300. Depending on you’re bike packing OCD you could be riding till mid afternoon and get an evening flight!

Failing that, Peaks or Wales. Although if it’s a weekend or longer then traveling time’s less critical if there’s more than one to split the driving you could do Scotland driving up Friday night and splitting the driving into shifts and getting some sleep.

chakaping
    Free Member

Flying abroad is a nice idea, but if it took 3hrs to drive to the Peak District you’d be riding before your plane’s even taken off – assuming you left the house at the same time.

jambalaya
    Free Member

There are some nice rocky trails in the Peak District, 3 hours from SE. However they can be ridden on a hardtail and pedalling about on a DH rig will be a bore. As above South Wales and Cwmcarn probably the closest / easiest.

Chamonix is 1 hour from Geneva Airport, Verbier is 2. Metabief is 45 mins. Clearly no riding there at this time of year though

rickon
    Free Member

Not DH big but 160-170mm and built more solidly than a trail or Enduro type bike

An Enduro bike would be more versatile, look at something like the Trek Slash, or the Canyon Strive – Enduro bikes, but built very solidly.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Closest proper rocky trails to the South East?’ is closed to new replies.