Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Close to the edge. (Guy Martin) film.
  • ton

watched the Guy Martin tt film last night.
    fantastic viewing.
    the bloke is obviously a loony, but i like him.
    and the film is ace.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Had a great day out with my dad at a vintage bike rally, then the cinema to see the film. Good film, Guys funny.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Watched it last week, good film indeed.

I remember the irst time i watched on bike TT covereage about 10 years ago, it actually made me feel sick at the speed. And at that time i was ridding a vtr1000 then moved onto a zx10r, these guys are on a planet thats in another universe. Respect.

2 kids later i now ride pushbikes rather than motorbikes, at least it costs much much much less money.

warton
    Free Member

i saw it in thew cinema with 3d. mentalists.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Be interesting to see a current gp rider go round there!
    Guy Martin is a top man.

Pook

He’s too fast and wears a silly helmet

<HTN> grumble grumble <HTN>

xherbivorex
    Free Member

did you spot the kitchen table with kettle and teapot on it in the back of his van at HtN tony?!

Muke
    Free Member

Guy builds an Orange….

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlIYEdRFQu4[/video]

br
    Free Member

Be interesting to see a current gp rider go round there!

Search ‘motogp suzuzi tt’ on youtube, with Cameron Donald.

legend
    Free Member

allow me…… turn it up!

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cvgg_URy3_8[/video]

although this a GP bike with a TT rider obviously (rather than what Wrighty was asking about)

warton
    Free Member

forgive my ignorance, whats the difference between a motogp bike and a tt bike?

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Didn’t Rossi (or maybe one of the other GP riders) show up there a few years ago? IIRC whoever it was kind of toured round waving at the fans rather than really going at it though.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Forgive my ignorance, whats the difference between a motogp bike and a tt bike?

I think the TT bikes are not too far from what you could buy, while the GP bikes are basically prototypes- GP is basically a formula so there is a spec they have to conform to, a bit like F1.

Also I’d imagine the demands of GP circuits are very different to the TT, so you probably wouldn’t want to use one for the other even if you could.

That might all be rubbish though!

Muke
    Free Member

Rossi and Ago 2009…
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tojHoqp8WIQ[/video]

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

It’s a great film.One of my mates has about 6 TT replicas & another got killed racing the TT. I love bike racing but never understood the TT & Manx,after listening to Guy Martin I still think they’re mad but I’ve got more of an idea why they do it.I like documentarys,and I thought the 2nd DVD was very good, the interview with Dobbsy’s widow,Connor Cummins,the electric bikes etc.

RustySpanner

One of the neighbours came to Hit the North this year just to say hello to him & get his DVD cover signed.

Neighbour said he was extremely friendly, chatted to him about his racing plans for this year and showed off his new bike engine (which was also in the back of his van).
    Nice chap.

Ton, glad things went well sunshine, brilliant news 😀
    When do we see photo’s of the new bike?

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Watched it a couple of times this week, amazed more don’t get killed but thrilling to watch.

legend
    Free Member

forgive my ignorance, whats the difference between a motogp bike and a tt bike?

Good wee indication by laptime:

MotoGP 2008 Qatar – C. Stoner 1:55:153
    WSBK 2009 Qatar – B. Spies 1:59:041

MotoGP 2008 Valencia – C. Stoner 1:32:582
    WSBK 2009 Valencia – B. Spies 1:34:618

MotoGP 2008 Assen TT – C. Stoner 1: 36:738
    WSBK 2008 Assen TT – T. Bayliss 1:39:562

TT bikes are essentially the same as World Superbikes, but obivously tuned for the (much) faster, (much) bumpier TT circuit. No reason that a GP bike couldn’t be tuned to do the same.

Harry_the_Spider

Did anyone see Guy in the final few minutes before HtN? I went over to say hello but he was say in his van getting “focused”. The look in his eye way intense to say the least.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

Yes mate, I was with you when he was sat staring out of the window of his van. You were scared…

dabble
    Free Member

Bought it a few weeks ago. Class film, Guy is a quality bloke, he’s funny and dunt mind speaking his mind and ruffling a few feathers. Goes on about **** a bit though 😆
    Good to see him getting grimy in his workshop wi his dad as well.

ton

Rusty Spanner, cheers mate…….. 8)

wrightyson
    Free Member

Good mate of mine met guy at the end of last summer at a track day with one of the haslams. They were doing a bit of a show you how it’s done day. He reckoned he was a top bloke and was really into helping folk out on how to improve etc. As for the gp thing on the same bike on the same day I don’t think Rossi or anyone else could touch the top road riders and obviously vice versa.

Northwind

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqp9itheYRg[/video]

1:10, the doc calls it right on the TT.

nbt

Anoyone got a copy we could borrow?

Will mean finding the DVD player and plugging it in too I suppose

stanfree
    Free Member

I dont even like bikes but watched this and couldn’t help but be amazed by these guys. Modern day Gladiators and Guy Martin seems like the mayor of Coolsville.

Utter respect but you cant help feeling he would swap It all for being Aaron Gwin or Danny Hart.

shifter
    Free Member

Great film, watched it for the first time last week. Worth cranking the sound right up.

Very strange. (Thread) title.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

stanfree – Member

Utter respect but you cant help feeling he would swap It all for being Aaron Gwin or Danny Hart.

No i dont think so. I think you will find he would cut a nad off to get a win in the Senior TT.

weeksy

For many young aspiring riders, the TT/Manx is the place they want to be. Sure, some dream of riding MotoGP, some dream of WSB but some (like me) had dreams and aspirations of riding the TT.

The ManxGP is the prequel to the TT, it’s the amatuer version of the TT. However don’t think you can just turn up and ride, you have to cut your teeth on short circuits, get your race licences, upgrade it with positional finishes in classes etc… work your way up… then go race the Manx…. then…. you can race the TT.

Sadly for me… i fell short and whilst i could have continued getting finishes on my licence to get the national licence to race the Manx, i knew deep down i wasn’t good enough to go there and race.

To put it into perspective, i was out yesterday on my R1 (1000cc, 150bhp, 180mph top end) and hit 150mph a couple of times… you’d be astounded how quickly the world goes by at 150mph on public roads…. VERY is the answer.
    However, MArtin, Donald, Farquar, etc all average in excess of 135mph !!!! AVERAGE…. this includes several sections of 30-50mph…. so put them into the equation and they’re averaging over 150mph on the majority of the circuit.
    It’s scarey how little the bike wants to move left and right at 150mph… it’s just a missile, going straight and true… to manouvery it is tough… to manouver it precisely… is awsome.

motox2k
    Free Member

it is a great “film”, i do get the urge to give guy a slap a couple of times, spoilt little kid springs to mind but I guess thats the way it is and the way he tells it, he does seam a very honest person.

higthepig
    Free Member

Just got home from work, wife in floods of tears watching Senna the movie. I’ve seen it a couple of times, so she thought she would watch it as ‘nothing else’ is on. Funny as she has no interest in motorsport and puts up with me watching all forms of petrol powered stuff on the tv. Just shows how powerful the movie must be as she normally watches ‘Downton Upstairs Brideshead’ type cr4p!
    Just need to get her to watch Closer to the Edge now!

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Close to the edge. (Guy Martin) film.’ is closed to new replies.