Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Close call this morning.
  • owenfackrell
    Free Member

This happened on my way in this morning. My question is would you bother reporting it to the police or just mark it up as one of those things that happen.

Edit: I have slowed the video down by half.

I_Ache
    Free Member

What some dick was too close to you as he overtook at 30?

owenfackrell
    Free Member

I take it that you don't find that something to worry about then?

ads-b
    Free Member

I wouldnt report it. Bloody close though. I probably would have done something at the time though.

owenfackrell
    Free Member

Oh and i have had cars to close but not had the rear wing pass under my bars before.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Hard to see for sure but yes report it – looks deliberate attempt to scare you – look how close he is to the kerb.

You have your two bits of evidence – your eyewitness report and the video so prosecution is possible.

I would – spoil the drivers day anyway

owenfackrell
    Free Member

I probably would have done something at the time though

I would have done but he turned off at a roundabout just up the road.

owenfackrell
    Free Member

look how close he is to the kerb

I did think that he was going to hit it.

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

Do you normally ride to work with a helmet cam?

owenfackrell
    Free Member

Do you normally ride to work with a helmet cam?

Every day as you never know what may happen and how usfull it will be to have a record of it though most days just get deleted.

ski
    Free Member

That did look tight and possibly deliberate

Might be worth reporting, the next cyclist he does that to might not be so lucky.

goog
    Free Member

looks ok to me

dmiller
    Free Member

I used to do the whole helmet cam thing but the local plod here (Strathclydes finest..) would do nothing with it (including video of a taxi driver screaming he was going to kill me then reversing down a cycle lane at me).

In the end I decided that some of the things I now do might be better not on video 😈

I_Ache
    Free Member

The way I ride to work is pretty much national speed limit b roads all the way and its the coach drivers and wagons get close enough to touch at 50mph+ that scares me. The suggestions of doing something at the time seem a bit daft because I would probably loose an arm or worse.

In the vid I couldn't see that the wing actually went under your bar. If so it was indeed close but I wouldn't waste my time and hope reporting it. If you have more faith in the police (and the amount of time they have available) then by all means report it.

kimbers

can we get a load of stickers made up of a durable and hard to remove nature

that say " CYCLISTS BEWARE BAD/UNSKILLED/CRAP/DANGEROUS DRIVER ON BOARD "

the can just whack them on the back of cars that cut you up at the next set of lights

Smee
    Free Member

Hmmm interesting. You may not know that it is illegal to over take on the zigzag lines at a pedestrian crossing.

soobalias
    Free Member

lost count of the close calls yesterday morning.
    schools are back, hopefully all the nutters will settle into their traffic filled routine quickly.
    next its the dark, the fog, the ice, the snow, the low spring sunrises and finally all the bloody useless summer cycle commuters that put my life at risk……….

just enjoy life as much as you can, you might not be here long 🙁

Drac

Allowing for the focal length on your Paranoidcam I'd say it wasn't too close but that did overtake near a pedestrian crossing which is not good.

Smee
    Free Member

Drac – it was on the same side of the road as the bike therefore way too **** close.

OP could help themselves by not riding in the gutter though.

Drac

Goan he was coming back in at that point so had passed him and it's not necessary to go on the opposite side of the road to pass smaller objects.

0091paddy
    Free Member

Too close, yes. Why didn't I hear you shout "move the f*** out, you stupid c***" though?

Gary_M
    Free Member

Looks too close to me and I wouldn't have been happy if it was me. Would be worth reporting it, driver won't get done for it but you never know how many other times they've been reported, also if the police to call on the driver they might find something else – may not have mot, bald tyres, etc. Worth a go anyway.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Hate to defend Goan but Drac – you should check the highway code on that

You shouldgive motorcyclists, cyclists and horse riders at least as much room as you would when overtaking a car (see Rules 211-215)

so its advisory not mandatory but could well be construed as careless if you don't

Also Goan is correct – the cyclist should have been further from the gutter from what I can see

Drac

Fair enough TJ can't really argue with that but as you say not mandatory but you stand little chance of being in the right if not obeying the highway code.

owenfackrell
    Free Member

I tend to ride in the worn bit of the road (if you know what i mean)
    I am waiting for the day when one of the cars that over takes me crossing the solid white line further back up the road, actually hits a car coming the other way as there has been a few close calls.
    As far as i could see at the time he never got any further than the white line.
    0091paddy- that was said just after where the vid stops. though i normaly just shake my head at them.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Close call this morning.’ is closed to new replies.