Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • cloning hardrive – can't be that easy shirley?
  • muddy9mtb

As anyone who has upgraded their pc and installed windows knows..it’s a major laborious task. to make it simplier is cloning or taking an image of the existing harddrive to a new larger one really that easy? does it really copy everything across as if nothing happened – including any special game codes, files settings etc etc.

atlaz
    Free Member

I am pretty sure you can use the windows installer (or some software within windows) to bring stuff over a network from one computer to a new one. The problem with just copying the whole HD is permissions are messed up and you may end up with unreadable files.

leffeboy

The answer is yes if you pick the correct new drive. Some of the manufacturers such as Samsung have migration software that will do this for you as long as the new target drive is theirs. If it is a lappy then you will need a caddy for the new drive but other than that it is really that easy. I always check that the manufacturer has some migration software before buying a new drive

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Cougar

Shedloads of ways of doing it, you just need some software. Gparted / Clonezilla on a Linux live CD is free and as good as any. Acronis and Easeus both do products which are friendlier.

Klunk
    Free Member

I used ghost to move to a ssd, pretty easy to do the copy sorting out the drive letter what a PITA

muddy9mtb

it would be a seagate and intend using their migration programme, not networked just personal. so when I’ve finished doing this aside from a few niggles all windows and games should be good to go, I’d hate to lose my place in call of duty mw 😕

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘cloning hardrive – can't be that easy shirley?’ is closed to new replies.